Liquid PTFE

J

JonasX

Does this do what they say on the tin? Is is best to use the PTFE tape and add this to the threads? I find that PTFE tape never 100% makes a seal on all threads.

On a parallel to parallel thread is tape the best rather than Liquid PTFE. Or a combination of the two?

I would like the views of those who have used Liquid PTFE.

than you.

Sponsored Links
I find that PTFE tape never 100% makes a seal on all threads. .
are you using it on tapered threaded joints such as radiator plugs, or on e.g. the threads of compression joints?

I dont think that I have seen this product. Who makes it and how much does it cost?

Having gained experience of using PTFE tape I dont see any need to use anything else but its always intresting to know about other products.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Can't fault liquid ptfe.
It's made by talon, i useally get it from BES.
I've used it on concealed shower fittings, rad tails etc.

I dont think that I have seen this product. Who makes it and how much does it cost?
Laco Slic-Tite, 120ml roughly a tenner, 240ml around 18 quid, 475ml 28 quid. I say 'roughly, depends how greedy/generous your local merchant is.

Dan_Robinson";p="2134966 said:
Loctite 55 is great. I Often use the Talon stuff when I know it will have time to cure....[/quote]

OK Dan can you spill the beans? Or in your case the edamame ?

Why does it need to cure?

How long does it take?

Does it need oxygen or water moisture to cure?

Tony

Anaerobic - goes hard without oxygen hence it dries/seals/stops you undoing the bugger after a while.

Not too interested in the chemistry though - just like the fact it works and works well.

Anaerobic - goes hard without oxygen hence it dries/seals/stops you undoing the b*****r after a while.

Not too interested in the chemistry though - just like the fact it works and works well.

Thanks Dan. Do you use the tape and the liquid PTFE together?

I find that PTFE tape never 100% makes a seal on all threads. .
are you using it on tapered threaded joints such as radiator plugs, or on e.g. the threads of compression joints?

I never used it on radiator plugs as they come with a rubber olive. On the valves? yes.

I never use the tape on compression joints. I know only paste or liquid is needed on these.

:confused: where do you put it on the valves?

I don't understand what threads you are putting it on.

PTFE tape is fine to use on olives as it prevents them weeping, even if a poor fit/poor alloy/slightly mishapen/previously used

I put the PTFE tape on the rad valves 1/2" thread. I read that PTFE is not needed for compression, only paste or liquid. So far I have done this and had no leaks. I only use Conex if I can. The cheaper fittings I avoid. Occasionally I have come across a parallel male and female thread that need screwing together. I have always used lots of PTFE tape to pack it out and some paste or liquid in he threads. I would assume using liquid PTFE in the threads would add to the seal.

I once used Fermox FSX, which to me was only silicon. I stopped using it, as it dried hard and in lumps inside fittings like silicon causing a restriction. Horrid stuff. I thought it was a rip-off as a large tube of silicon is cheaper. It looked the same to me. Hence why I want to go to liquid PTFE. I want a proper seal and no problems after.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back