liquid ptfe anyone?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
I'm changing a hot water cylinder with a mate (it's his house). I've done one of these before (my own) and used ptfe tape on the threaded fittings. Worked ok, but had to remove and refit the cold feed fitting after it leaked a bit first time. I've seen this liquid ptfe stuff and it seems like a briilliant idea. Stick it on the threads, do up the fittings reasonably tight, sorted.
Does it really work like that? Or am I better using something else?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
i use liquid more on showers etc rather than tape and always been ok.

Fitted cylinder today and used PTFE and LSX together (after research on web). Sealed perfectly (and I have had some previous issues when using just PTFE).

Sponsored Links
Fitted cylinder today and used PTFE and LSX together (after research on web). Sealed perfectly (and I have had some previous issues when using just PTFE).
Quite so.

Cylinder cold feeds are always the hardest joint to seal. Try the fitting bare first, to judge how loose it feels, then add enough PTFE to make it tight but not so much that you risk splitting the boss. Then smear with LSX and do it up. Leave for at least an hour before filling the cylinder.

Fitted cylinder today and used PTFE and LSX together (after research on web).
PTFE tape or liquid?
Don't be ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Thanks for this guys.
We did it last night using ptfe tape and lsx. Got it done quickly and with no leaks.
Cheers,
Jo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back