Liquid PTFE or Compression radiator valve - or both?!

Sponsored Links
I told myself I wasn't going to post any more on this thread, but the last few have given me a good laugh. Perhaps it depends whereabouts in the UK you're based. Do bicker among yourselves, I'm out of here.

Sponsored Links
After some searching and Googling it seems Im not the only person who is or has had this issue. Fitting a tail into a radiator you can literally screw it all the way past the end of the rad given the tolerance of the tail and the thread in the valve they can be off slightly and weep.
Cannot understand why
Been doing this for 30 years, rarely a problem.

Purpose of using thread tape is to fill the valleys in the thread with sealing
Also, tape should be applied so that the applied tape does not unwind when stub is screwed into the radiator

Tape can be bunched up like a thread to fill the valleys and used as tape overlapping the wind.

Some people do not comprehend what the purpose of the tape is. Regularly see tape on compression fitting but no application on the sealing component which is the olive ( no tape required new fittings)

I hope I have not poured oil on the fire when it is just about out:giggle::giggle::giggle:

Last edited:
Hemp and paste /silicone. then you've got to wind the thin strand of hemp from back to front of the thread ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back