Liquid PTFE or Compression radiator valve - or both?!

Anticlockwise? Which way round are you holding it? This was discussed on here recently https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...w-rad-thermostat-wont-fit.606475/post-5418528
Yes, I know what you mean.
It's all relative.
If you're looking at the tail thread straight on, so the bit that goes into the radiator, it's clockwise.
Maybe it's easier to say that if you hold the tape still, you have to screw the tape into it (maybe this is even more confusing).
I also run a blade around the tail once it's tightened and peal off the excess tape, just to neaten it up.
Yes, that is what should be the standard.
A professional plumber once laughed at me because he said nobody looks at that.
But I couldn't sleep at night knowing that there's a chunk of ptfe tape showing on a radiator tail...

Sponsored Links
Just to add - the only reason I brought it up again was because johhny2007 said ACW in #2.
I guessed that .... all it proves though is there can sometimes be a difference of opinion and sometimes there is more than one right answer to something, with this one it really is just down to an individuals POV.

Such is the nature of things in an online forum, happens all the time in here and it just needs to be left as such.

Thanks guys - it was more to the fact (and yes there will always be a multitude of opinions) wrapping PTFE around the joint 20 odd times is a bodge? Also when I put liquid PTFE I mean (and its my fault) thread seal.

Basically as said (and correct me if Im wrong) the issue is down to the tolerance on the thread of the tail and the bored hole in the radiator. All I want is a nice sealed joint which isnt going to leak :D

I am not a plumber... I have only tried to use liquid PTFE once. I may well have used it inappropriately, nevertheless, these days I stick to loctite 55 or PTFE.

Sponsored Links
TBH - I don't think the OP nor anyone else would be confused when it is advised to wrap the tape opposite to the way the tail is tightened, so the tape tightens as it is screwed in.
In that case there's no need to say CW or ACW, just leave it to the common sense of the person doing it.

Never forget it, used to have a bottle of LaCo - Slic tite PTFE Paste, used it once, it failed badly, used it so often after that It sealed the threads of the lid shut and I couldn't get the top off it. In the bin it went.

In that case there's no need to say CW or ACW, just leave it to the common sense of the person doing it.
Jeesh ... really??? -- I didn't say it should be one or the other in this post, you did, I said it should be opposite to the way it's tightened deliberately avoiding saying it should be either or.

Can we please be adults about this now and finally put it to bed .... thanks.

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
I didn't say it should be one or the other in this post, you did
??? I've always said it's CW looking on the end of the fitting, the way anybody would hold it while applying the tape.
Can we please be adults about this now and finally put it to bed .... thanks.
I've already said why I posted on this thread, and it was for the OP's benefit, not mine or yours. As far as I was concerned that covered it, there was no need for you to come back and start it off again.
Yes, let's put it to bed.

??? I've always said it's CW looking on the end of the fitting, the way anybody would hold it while applying the tape.

I've already said why I posted on this thread, and it was for the OP's benefit, not mine or yours. As far as I was concerned that covered it, there was no need for you to come back and start it off again.
When you posted it on this thread which way were you holding it? (The mouse???)

Oh enough already ... IMO your reply wasn't required for the OP or anyone else .. you started it off again simply by the reply to @johnny2007 's ACW comment to get the CW comment in, I didn't mention anything about that .. and now your determined to get the last word in.

Will you please just stop replying.

Last edited:
Oh enough already ... IMO your reply wasn't required for the OP or anyone else .. you started it off again simply by the reply to @johnny2007 's ACW comment to get the CW comment in, I didn't mention anything about that .. and now your determined to get the last word in.

Will you please just stop replying.
Lastworditis here I think. It all started when he hit me back

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back