Liquid PTFE or Compression radiator valve - or both?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

After some searching and Googling it seems Im not the only person who is or has had this issue. Fitting a tail into a radiator you can literally screw it all the way past the end of the rad given the tolerance of the tail and the thread in the valve they can be off slightly and weep.

I know I can wrap PTFE around the thread to fill the gap but this method seems a bit of a faff and it would seem others have used liquid PTFE or a compression valve. Not to over engineer but is there an issue if I use both (given just the compression valve on its own may not be enough - unless Im wrong?)

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Wrap ptfe tape in the anti clockwise direction so it doesn't come off when you screw the tail in.
Give it around 20 turns and then screw the tail in leaving just one line of the thread out.
It shouldn't leak.

Any reason you wouldnt use liquid PTFE? (Just out of interest as I guess there's no right or wrong)

Sponsored Links
I guess what they mean is so its tightening as you screw it in rather than un-tightening.
Definitely
What if I was standing on my head whilst doing it then things get really confusing
Exactly. Wrap it clockwise with the end you're taping pointing towards you. The pic in the earlier thread shows it right, despite the confusing words

Here we go again.

OP ... Wrap the tape around the tail threads, the opposite way to how the tail would tighten into the radiator. Whether you think the wrapping direction is anti clockwise or clockwise is entirely up to you and really just a moot point, as long as it is against the way it is tightened to ensure it doesn't unravel.

PTFE paste/liquid isn't a well used method of sealing rad tails, would it work, don't see why not but do you want to experiment?

Here we go again.
Your pic shows the right way (clockwise!) however you describe it
296553-bf764236fc416199c3d15882b2322523.jpg

PTFE paste/liquid isn't a well used method of sealing rad tails
There's plenty of thread sealing compounds out there, eg Loctite, which AFAIK aren't PTFE paste

Your pic shows the right way (clockwise!) however you describe it

There's plenty of thread sealing compounds out there, eg Loctite, which AFAIK aren't PTFE paste
Oh please @fixitflav, lets all be adults and not start this again. My picture shows, when the tail is held in my left hand, the tape is heading opposite to how the fitting would be tightened into the rad. Call that what you want but ultimately it depends on how it is looked at.

@shabbaranks the important point here is the tape is wound on to the thread opposite to the way the tail tightens into the radiator.

Thanks guys - it was more to the fact (and yes there will always be a multitude of opinions) wrapping PTFE around the joint 20 odd times is a bodge? Also when I put liquid PTFE I mean (and its my fault) thread seal.

Basically as said (and correct me if Im wrong) the issue is down to the tolerance on the thread of the tail and the bored hole in the radiator. All I want is a nice sealed joint which isnt going to leak :D

and trying to make sure the OP isn't confused
TBH - I don't think the OP nor anyone else would be confused when it is advised to wrap the tape opposite to the way the tail is tightened, so the tape tightens as it is screwed in.
I guess what they mean is so its tightening as you screw it in rather than un-tightening
Anyway ... moving on swiftly.

Thanks guys - it was more to the fact (and yes there will always be a multitude of opinions) wrapping PTFE around the joint 20 odd times is a bodge? Also when I put liquid PTFE I mean (and its my fault) thread seal.

Basically as said (and correct me if Im wrong) the issue is down to the tolerance on the thread of the tail and the bored hole in the radiator. All I want is a nice sealed joint which isnt going to leak :D
You are more than correct and whatever medium is used, it is to take up the gap between the thread on the tail and the threads in the tapping to create a watertight seal. Using PTFE tape was the next standard method to seal threads once hemp and paste went out of fashion. I do agree that the 20 odd turns of tape is excessive and it tends to leave a hugs bunch of tape at the end, that's why I use gas tape that only uses 6-7 turns. I also run a blade around the tail once it's tightened and peal off the excess tape, just to neaten it up. Thread is now a well used method and tends to be a lot neater too.

TBH - I don't think the OP nor anyone else would be confused when it is advised to wrap the tape opposite to the way the tail is tightened, so the tape tightens as it is screwed in.

Anyway ... moving on swiftly.

You are more than correct and whatever medium is used, it is to take up the gap between the thread on the tail and the threads in the tapping to create a watertight seal. Using PTFE tape was the next standard method to seal threads once hemp and paste went out of fashion. I do agree that the 20 odd turns of tape is excessive and it tends to leave a hugs bunch of tape at the end, that's why I use gas tape that only uses 6-7 turns. I also run a blade around the tail once it's tightened and peal off the excess tape, just to neaten it up. Thread is now a well used method and tends to be a lot neater too.
Just to check - when you say gas tape. PTFE tape but yellow used for gas :D? Guessing its thicker or something?

Just to check - when you say gas tape. PTFE tape but yellow used for gas :D? Guessing its thicker or something?
It is the tape in the yellow reels, yes. It is the same tape just thicker so less is used. I just use it as it's the stuff I carry all the time, rather than specifically water tape.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back