Liquid silicone sealant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 20M run of 10mm x 10mm U shaped aluminium set into edge of a step. It currently has LED tape in it but needs to be replaced. That's the easy bit but I need to re seal the groove with clear/slightly opaque silicone sealant. Using the standard stuff in a gun is not only a pain but very difficult to get smooth on the top. I have looked everywhere for a liquid version or 2 part that I can pour in, let it level itself and set but can't find anything suitable. Does anybody know where I might source such a thing?

Sponsored Links
Polyester casting resin from arty shops, sets hard, but is a liquid. If the strip is not exactly horizontal any liquid will run down to one end.
Frank

To get a clean finish with silicon in a gun fix masking tape each side of your channel, fill with silicon then smooth it with a wet finger. Remove the masking tape and the jobs done.

Sponsored Links
Maltaron- I would do this but 2 metres is using a whole tube of sealant. With 20 metres not only is it a lot of silicone but also a lot of smoothing which I don't think I will get perfect on the whole length. I hoping to just pour something in a leave it to set but Polyester casting resin will go hard where as I need to option to pull it up if I ever need to. I'll continue the search or end up on my hands and knees with masking tap and water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back