Silicone sealant...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

I know this has been covered, I have searched and taken advice but I'm having trouble!

So I'm trying to silicone the corners of my tiles- grey tiles, white grout and silicone.
I used the masking tape method, about 2mm in from the joint on both sides, applied silicone, smoothed off with a finger dipped in white spirit and peeled the tape off straight away- pulling outwards from the sealant.

This left a step in the silicone, so I took my finger and very gently smoothed the step out, but it smeared too far onto the tile.

Any tips on how to avoid the step?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Remember that as far as possible, silicone goes into a gap, not over a surface.

I much rather see a tiny step than to have it smeared, it gives it a defined edge, however, why would you want to fill the corner with silicone? if grout had been put in the corner? silicone is only used on the tub edges to seal against tiles. As a matter of fact a small step makes the silicone edge stronger and stops it rolling over when cleaning, step would be created to the thickness of your masking tape unless you went over it a few times with wet finger, then remove the masking tape.

Tip No2. Never ever go over silicone once the tape is removed, 99% you will ruin it and make it worst, so any minor imperfections after masking tape has been removed, just leave it alone and any holes or imperfections could be filled in later when the first layer has dried hard. I just screwed up mine trying to tidy up a corner, and it smeared up a bit! ruining it far more than what that imperfection was.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice guys.

I understand that I will get it with practice. There may have been too much as i was making sure it went right into the joint, resulting with more build up on my finger as as got further down.

I believe silicone should be use on corners to allow for slight movement, especially in the shower area. It's just silicone going in, no grout.

So i removed what i done this morning and will give it another go, but I have just had a go on another corner, one that won't really be seen too much. I ran a wet finger down it a couple more times than before and I am much happier with it.

Thanks.

If using tape, run the silicone, immediately remove tape, spray diluted fairy liquid over the whole area and then run your finger or a former along the length. Don't worry about smearing it over the place - the fairy will stop it sticking to the tiles where the tape was and you'll have a nice neat looking application.

Nice idea with the fairy liquid! I'd love to be good at sealing, I'll try that next time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back