Little advice needed on small job.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I need some help with a pointing/render job. I have a external walls that at the corner have a crack about 15mm in width at the widest point it goes right through the wall. The problem was drains and has been resolved, although i still expect some more movement. The damp has caused some of the render to blow and needs repairing. I have basic pointing and render skills but what has thrown me is reading a quote from the insurance firm which where originally going to do the job. It states supply and fit expamet mesh and render including applying pva bonding. Is this correct or over engineered? My plan was to cut back, rake out, point leaving shy to then render. Is the mesh required being as it is a corner? Never used pva in render mix, will this help flexibility? and if so do i scrap the waterproofer? And one last question, where the damp has penetrated some of the render near to ground level it has become loose (not blown) and pitted what can be done to make this look better? it's not really deep enough to get a render finish. Many thanks in advance. DAN :confused:

Sponsored Links
The metal lath will reinforce the repair, dont use PVA outside, use an SBR slurry. The secion of damaged render thats loose probably wants hacking off and replacing.

When repairing a crack in a wall ,l would hack off 300mm around the crack fill the crack with a dry-pack mix ( 4 sand 1 cement to a floor mix consistency which has just enough water in it to hold it together when you squeeze it),After you have packed the crack out put the ex-metal (stainless) over it with the over-lap of 300mm all around and nail it from the middle out with large enough clout nails to hold it firm. Then mix some SBR up with some cement into a slurry and paint it or flick it over the mesh.Scratch coat it with a 5-1 mix with a drop of w/proofer in it. Then leave it for a few days then float coat it with a 6-1-1 sand cement lime mix after you have thrown some water on with a brush...Jobs a good un'... ;)

Thanks to you both for your time. Just one thing, how long after applying the SBR can the scratch coat go on? Thanks again. D :D

Sponsored Links
Give the slurry about 10 mins then throw your scratch on it, You dont want it to dry out before you put the muck on top of it, it should " pick up" as soon as you put it over your mesh...it will mix in with the scratch and you will get a good key for the floatcoat to go on.... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back