little damp patch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm not sure how big a problem this is, and didn't want to waste anyone's time calling them out if its nothing.

I own a 1920s ex-council house, with solid walls. When it rains the roughcast at the front stays dark longer than the rest of the house, I've been up to have a look at it and it appears to be some sort of fungus. In addition, a small damp patch has appeared on the inside of the wall, to the top right of the window when looking at it from inside ( I've added some photos). Its a couple of inches across, and has been expanding very slowly over the last few months. It isn't wet or even damp to the touch or anything.

My question is, is this something minor I can sort out myself, or do I need to get someone out to take a look ?

Thanks for any replies.

Sponsored Links
If you look at your first picture you will see a crack on the pointing underneath your tiles just above the lead-work this could be where the water is getting in and showing in your room. There is also algae growing there which shows that, that area is staying damp..You would be better off getting a reputable roofer in to check that area and the tiles around it out and ask his advice...It would be an easy job to put right if it was only repairing the cracked pointing, but I think it may be a bit more than that...Lets hope not. ;)

The water is running off the corner of the flat roof and down the wall, this will need looked at.

Thanks for the advice, I will get in touch with a few builders for quotes. Any ideas about the fungus ? Is there a treatment I can apply myself ?

Sponsored Links
Wait till you have heard what the builders say and let us know. ;)

I've had a roofer round and they've fixed the crack and cemented in place some of the tiles at the front. I still have the problem of the fungus, is there anything I can do to get rid of it ?

You say you still have the fungus. Do you still have the damp patch spreading inside? Put some pictures up of what the roofers have done.If you still have the damp patch then the roofers haven't done their job!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back