Live cable?

owe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just changing some sockets as the old ones are unswitched (which I hate) and got to one that has 3 wires going into each terminal. Which I thought was strange as I couldnt work out where the spur would be running to, so I had a route around under the floor to find that the cable was about a metre long where it just stopped - no termination, no nothing.

Now I'm no electrician, just a humble DIYer, but thats not right is it??

I had a partial rewire done a few years back; shouldn't that have been spotted by someone more clued up on these things than me??

Sponsored Links
Definitely not right. Turn off power and disconnect it from the socket.

Hi, i would disconnect it from the socket, and have an electrician undertake some tests to ensure you have actually got a ring circuit ( if your sockets are protected by a 30a or32a
mcb or fuse it is important to have this test done.

Regards,

DS

yeap I already have disconnected it

as far as I can tell it is a ring main have traced the cable throughout and its on a 30a mcb

will have to find a new spark now tho, as I don't totally trust the ones who did the work before

Sponsored Links
Did your previous electrician have anything to do with wiring this part of the circuit?
Did the work you employed them to do, require them to access this area under the floor?

If not, you can hardly accuse the previous electrician of someone else's dangerous work.

If I had come across something similar and believed that a particular person was responsible. I would have isolated circuit and asked them to come around immediately to resolve it.

to be fair to them, I know that they didnt wire that socket in, but they did add 3 additional sockets to that room and have been underneather the floor.
I know for a fact that they had been round and checked every socket in the house checking the wiring in each. So I'm surprised that they didnt spot it; as soon as I saw the wiring I wondered where the spur was, only took me 30 seconds to pop the floorboards and realise there was no spur!

I'm assuming that this sort of thing doesn't show up when you're running tests on a circuit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back