LIVE EARTH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HAVE LAYED 120M OF 3CORE 10MM ARMOURED CABLE TO A NEW BUILDING WHEN POWER SWITCHED ON HAVE DETECTED LIVE ON ARMOURED EARTH SHEATH NOT MUCH AS I WAS HOLDING THE EARTH IN MY HAND AT TIME BUT IT LIGHTS UP A TESTER SCREWDRIVER IS THIS NORMAL OR A FAULTY CABLE

Sponsored Links
BUILDER said:
HAVE LAYED 120M OF 3CORE 10MM ARMOURED CABLE TO A NEW BUILDING WHEN POWER SWITCHED ON HAVE DETECTED LIVE ON ARMOURED EARTH SHEATH NOT MUCH AS I WAS HOLDING THE EARTH IN MY HAND AT TIME BUT IT LIGHTS UP A TESTER SCREWDRIVER IS THIS NORMAL OR A FAULTY CABLE

1: TURN CAPS OFFF
2: bin screwdriver
3: get a multimeter and measure the voltages accross each cable
4: come back to us and post your findings

you could also get a insulations tester and check all insulation. thats if you find out you do have a live earth.

Is that a real NEON screwdriver or one of those things with a battery that also tests fuses? If it's the latter then ignore it. Those things can light up at any time and are, in my opinion, fit only for testing fuses.

On the other hand, you need actual volts (about 70 of them) to light a neon. I suggest that the armour is not earthed at either end. In this situation you don't need a faulty cable to light your neon, just capacitive coupling from the live core to the armour. The longer the cable, the greater the effect - and you have a very long cable! Earth the armour at both ends.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back