swa problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello,
I have layed a 10mm 3 core swa cable underground
(live neutral earth)

The problem is i damaged the cable with a shovel. I removed the steel armour and insulation to expose the 3 inner cores which are all intacked.
I do not want to cut the 3 inner cores just weather proof and maintain continuity throughout the steel wire armour which is not used as the earth

How do i repair

Sponsored Links
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SWJK1.html

Use just the joint shell and the resin, discard the connectors.

I have to say that while you don't have to use the outer armour as an earth conductor, it is very bad practice not to earth it at least at one end.

If a nail (for example) enters the cable it potentially could make the armour live!!!

Not just bad practice, it will not comply with the IEE regs and is dangerous.

Sponsored Links
sorry, the steel is connected to earth at both ends. after this work is competed what checks should a sparky undertake.
continuity and resistance ??????????

yes, earth continuity (r1 + r2), then insulation resistance between all 3 conductors (and the SWA as it's earthed. Finally the live tests - earth fault loop impedance and RCD trip times (if circuit has an RCD)

SB

sorry, the steel is connected to earth at both ends. after this work is competed what checks should a sparky undertake.
continuity and resistance ??????????

What is the SWA cable supplying? Is this a sub-main?

What is your earthing arrangements at the supply? TT? - TN-S? TN-C-S?

main earthing is TN-C-S and it's supplying a garden shed
shed fuse board(ring main on a 20amp braker and two lights on a 6amp in shed)
house -main fuse board 40amp

How can anyone answer that with any accuracy without seeing the details?[/quote]

sorry, i no it's a silly question.I thought people on hear might have a idea,,Price range

You have to be very careful exporting a TN-C-S earth.
In certain fault conditions (loss of neutral conductor) you can end up with live extraneous metal. In some cases it is wise (probably not is yours) to not export a TN-C-S earth outside of the main dwelling and a TT arrangement (with RCD) is used instead. I am not saying that you must do that but you really should have this looked at by an experienced electrician first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back