Live feed cables?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please excuse the naivety of this question.
I’ve always looped at the ceiling rose and used the 4 terminals on a light fitting: live loop, neutral, switched live and earth. I have always assumed that the Live Feed plays an active role I.e. the live feed is powering the circuit once the circuit is completed with the switch being activated.

I went to fit a light today which only had 3 terminals: switched live, neutral and earth. I stuck all the live feed cables in a wago connector.

It then dawned on me that this isn’t actually much different to the 4th terminal I’ve been using on light fittings.

What is the purpose of the live feed and how is the light getting power without the live cable?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
What is the purpose of the live feed and how is the light getting power without the live cable?

Between the 'live feed' and the live on the light are two wires that go the switch. When the switch is closed the light becomes live.

I stuck all the live feed cables in a wago connector.
There is, of course, only one live feed.

Any other wires connected to it will be conducting the power to somewhere else - switch, other lights, other room etc.

Draw the circuit live wires and it will become apparent.

upload_2019-6-16_1-11-17.png

Sponsored Links
Doh!
Got it I think. If I can paraphrase: the live feed comes into ceiling rose and it’s live (brown) wire is connected into the same terminal as the switches brown wire. That’s what effectively provides power. The switch live wire then completes/breaks the circuit.

Also, the other feed wires I mentioned earlier are exactly as stated by @etlimpudence - wires going to other ceiling roses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back