Live feed to new thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have replaced my manual room stat with a Heatmiser DT digital stat for my conventional GCH system.
It is working OK, but the stat only has a live feed when the heating is activated, so is powered down at all other times.
The stat has a 3 wire plus earth feed.
At the junction box of all various cables is it OK for me to move the live feed going to the stat from its present connection, i.e. only live when the heating is on, to a permanently live connection?
Just want to be sure that this will not confuse the system or short something!

Sponsored Links
Ah, no it's not. Now my heating turns on with the thermostat and is by-passing the heater timer controls.

If I have to put it back the way it was and have the stat powered via the heating controls I will, but I suspect that something else is not quite wired in the usual way

Any further suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Can you post a photo of the junction box wiring and the back of the stat?

Pics attached.
From left to right cables are:-
- To heating and hot water timer controls
- Mains input
- Tank stat
- Room stat (where I had moved yellow cable from 4 to 1)
- CH pump
- Motorised valve
- Boiler
Thanks for your help with this, much appreciated.

looking at the manual you have it wired correctly, your live has to come from the time clock in order to give you timed heating, however i expect the problem you are getting is the display goes blank when there is no demand from the timer as no live is getting to the stat?
Probably would have been better to get the battery model if you wanted a live display all the time.

Or you could have bought a programmable room stat, then you could just have left the heating on the old programmer on constant.

Thanks Dean and Picasso. The situation is exactly as you have stated.

Funnily enough I actually searched for a digital without a battery as I did have one previously but it ate through the duracells like they were smarties. So I thought the Heatmiser DT would be a good replacement as a basic digital stat without programmer, so seem to have created my own problem!

I will leave it as it is for now with the stat only being powered when the heating is on and perhaps look for a Heatmiser PRT so I can use as an alternative timer, leaving the existing permanently on.

Thanks all for your advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back