Living on the edge.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
From http://www.toppstiles.co.uk/tprod42567/Stratum-Grey.html

"These tiles are designed to be butted up together for minimal grout lines - apply grout with the finger to fill the odd spaces which may naturally occur. If you’re using in a wet area, we recommend waterproof matting before the product is affixed."

So as I'm following retailers instruction, if it all goes horribly wrong, they'll redo my bathroom for free?

Tiles are going behind a shower bath.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
well no, of course not.

but that said, grout does waterproof it anyway - you need to tank and seal it as if you werent having tiles.

Go to say though, not of are they very expensive, they arent a good idea for where you are using them. You'll never get the soap scum etc off them.

Cheers.

I can give you the wife's email address if you'd like to discuss her choice of tile, good luck......

I am with TPT on this mate, you will have problems keeping them clean due to soap scum, shampoo and conditioner residue etc.

I have just done a feature wall with these tiles about 2 weeks ago, they do look lovely but I think the manufacturers are having a laugh, use ya thumb lol, by a grout float, you wont miss anywhere with it, the ones I fixed were NOT sealed, so check before ya start, ya don't want them staining. Alsoas TPT says, get it tanked first.
And NO they will not come nd re-tile it for you if it goes wrong ;)

Sponsored Links
The tiles are sitting in the spare room waiting to go up, so there's no going back!!! The area is being sealed where the shower is.

the ones I fixed were NOT sealed, so check before ya start, ya don't want them staining

Sealed? You got me thinking now, do they need sealing? What with? Also did you leave a gap or butt up to each other?

Cheers.

looks nice, but dont use ya finger, it'll have no skin left!

Perhaps if you mix the grout firm like cement and use a small pointing trowel to point them like bricks. It'll take a while though!

mix grout as normal, apply with a grouting float, yes you will have build up of grout at the uneven edges, get round this by using a damp sponge, rubbing in circular motions, it will push the grout into the joints, leave til you see a haze forming, then wash off with clean water. Best to use 1 side of your sponge in 1 sweep either horizontally or vertically, turn sponge over then do the same again, rinse sponge out and carry on like that, over lap each stroke by half the width of the sponge, keep doing it until all grout residue is removed, let tiles dry then you will see a slight haze, buff this off with a clean dry cloth, maybe add a coat of sealer to it ( tpt, lithofin etc) end of the day you will have a lovely looking job. just take no shortcuts, on a job like that cleanliness is imperative

PS I butted the ones I done together, but you still have slight gaps for the grout, I also applied a coat of lithofin sealer to them before grouting and after grouting

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back