Minimal Grout Line

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

The other half wanted and insisted on some fancy porcelain tiles for the bathroom, they are called Stratum Grey and can be found here
http://www.toppstiles.co.uk/tprod42567/Stratum-Grey.html

They advise minimum grout lines 1/2mm and to apply the grout using a finger, does anyone have any experience of these tiles and an alternative to applying grout with a finger? Would a grout gun do the job accurately?

The tiles are being mounted on two walls, two of these are constructed with hardbacker and the third is a wall with a bonding coat, can I use the same adhesive for both these surfaces?

Thanks for your help,

Sponsored Links
they are a bit of a PIA to grout, but it can be done with patience. you basically point them rather than grout them so its takes real time.

If you are fitting them in a wet area make sure you tank the area, and give it a lot of thought as soap scum really doesn't come off easily.

You can't tile directly onto bonding, you'll need to skim or over board it.

Cheers tpt,

Could i scrape off the bonding and put a cement mix on the wall to tile onto? I've heard about problems with moisture and tiling onto a skimmed wall in the shower area.....

bonding is worse than skim - its like a sponge! finish mostly fails because of its substrate.

I'd say your best approach is to chop the bonding off then fix cement backerboards over the brick\blockwork. depending on your choice of board you can dot\dab this with the adhesive the manufacturer recommends.

Sponsored Links
Sound, I'll either have him back to skim the bonding or get some of the 6 mm hardibacker for that wall so it doesn't stand too proud of the finished skim that it butts up against,

If i go for the hardibacker would there be any issues with fixing it to the wall with screws and rawl plugs?

no problem mechanically fixing it, but you usually have to use adhesive too so the voids\diff in levels are taken up

Yep, I've got these and they are a PITA to grout. I used 1mm spacers on them and used my finger to grout in the end. Needed a new finger by the time I was done though! Get a few pairs of cheap rubber gloves :) (But they do look the buts once they're done!)

Alright fellas,

I installed a Hardibacker equivalent (builders merchants have stopped stocking Hardibacker but now carry an alternative) on the last wall to ensure its sturdy enough to hold the tiles without any issues,

I know I need to join the backer boards on each wall with scrim tape and some tile adhesive which leads me on to another few questions.....

1) Can you recommend a good adhesive for porcelain tiles? I'm guessing a rapid set cement adhesive would be best,

2) Where the two planes meet in the corner there is a gap of about 5 - 10mm should I be looking to run scrim tape down there with tile adhesive to join the two planes or leave them independant of each other?

3) Despite my best efforts, the wall on the left isn't plumb, when using a straight edge the center bows in against the wall by about 5-8mm, can I use adhesive to build out this area? Should I do that now so it cures or at the time of tiling?

4) Finally Tanking, what tanking product would you recommend using with these types of tiles?

Incase anyone is wondering the gap in the wall is for a granite/quartz/marble recess to be installed. Unfortunately I hadn't anticipated how expensive that choice of material was going to be so I'm flat out haggling for a decent quote......

Thanks gents
[/img]

Popped to Topps Tiles yesterday out of desperation, the guy left me completely confused and nearly over a £100 worse off, I ducked out and said i needed to check a couple of things,

My local builders merchants has a rubbish collection of tile adhesives, none appear suitable for porcelain,

Can someone recommend a tile adhesive for these tiles please?
A decent tanking product?
Finally a decent supplier please, I don't mind ordering it all online if I know I'm getting decent stuff at competitive rates,

Thanks

Gents, thank you for all the advice provided,

The stratum tiles are an absolute ball ache to grout but for my first attempt at tiling I'm rather happy with the outcome....

The recess is manufactured from five pieces of white quartz, didn't realise how expensive the stuff is but I did manage to locate a reasonably priced chap in the Luton area who I wouldn't hesitate to recommend.....

Here's a photos of the finished product.....

Thanks again, this website is testament to the work that can be achieved with some helpful & friendly advice....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back