grout lines too thick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tiled a kitchen splashback with metro tiles 20cm x 10cm, 2mm spacers.
You probably know the ones, but they are bevelled.

Used a flat tile float to apply grout and then removed using a wet sponge. However, I now realise I should have really pressed into the space between the tiles, which I didn't.

So I'm left with a grout line of approx 5mm. This was yesterday. It doesn't look awful to my eye, and the widths are fairly even, but I now realise from looking at pics that I should have pressed in and got 2mm lines.

I used Mapai coloured jasmine grout.

So, this was 24 hours ago. Should I leave well alone? Of can I rewet the grout and try and take it down to the place it should be. I'm not sure if this is possible, how long it would take, and whether it would end up looking worse? Its about 7m in length, 4 tiles high, so I suspect it wouldn't be a quick job.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Buggered basically
Unless you can live with it, you may be better off starting again

you could try, but will probably need to rake out and start again, but be careful to rake in your 2mm grout line the rest will probably then come off the tile faces fairly easily
If you do then next time its a case of pressing in hard with your sponge as you clean off to remove the excess grout back to the 2mm grout line

Yeah, pretty much worked that out now :cry:

It looks a bit better now I've wiped the dry grout off the surfaces. To a pro tiler it probably sticks out like a sore thumb, but I'm definitely going to live with it. Hopefully most people wouldn't even really notice the lines are thicker than they should be. Trying to look at the positives, in some ways it maybe adds a bit of colour into what would otherwise be a fairly big slab of green.

Fortunately this is for a buy to let property so I wont have to look at it every day or it probably would bug me, but I have got the same tiles for my own place so will make sure I take my time on that one.

Never done bevelled tiles before, and none of the online guides made any mention of them, even this morning after the event when I was looking. Made the mistake of rushing it last night as well as it was getting dark and I was due to meet someone, and by the time I realised it was too late.

Oh well, you live and learn.

Pics, if anyone is interested, in fairness the closeups are probably of the worst bits:
http://s1095.photobucket.com/user/randombits/library/tiles

Thanks

Sponsored Links
As you say looks fine for a BTL, and probably seen worse done by "professional" tilers, just rake out better when wet next time.

Yeah, will do, I know where I went wrong, was just too late to fix it.
Didn't really become apparant until I'd completed the lot and started removing the driy excess grout off the tiles.
Will make sure the ones in my own home are spot on.
Just annoyed with myself more than anything, as I thought I'd done a decent job of it up until then.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back