Grout width for wall ceramics?

Softus said:
Hallsy said:
Just turned a box over to start tiling and it says "this material has to be fixed using a minimum grout joint of 4-5mm"
Either you or the tile manufacturer is bull-sh*tting. A minimum is one value, not a range of values. For example, if you use 5mm, then you've exceeded the "minimum" of 4mm.

Hallsy said:
Indeed, first time I've been caught out like that.
Perhaps you've not done very much wall tiling?

Hallsy said:
Started fixing today, went OK considering it was my first time wall tiling...
:rolleyes:

I'll get you a picture of the box if you like, why would I make it up? As for minmum being 4 or 5mm, I guess that could be a poor translation (spanish to english). As has already been cleared up, they are multi format so perhaps suggesting wider joint due to possibilty of floor installation.

Yes, this is my first 'full' wall tiling job, but I have laid a few floors using irregular natural stones and hadn't been caught out before. Didn't mean to sound like I did this for a living or anything!!! :oops:

Sponsored Links
Hallsy said:
why would I make it up?
I don't know - why does anyone make anything up?

A forum member once claimed that he'd driven 240,000 miles in one year. Why would he make that up?

As for minmum being 4 or 5mm, I guess that could be a poor translation.
I don't do guesses. Perhaps you do, and perhaps that's why you were caught out.

As has already been cleared up, they are multi format so perhaps suggesting wider joint due to possibilty of floor installation.
Perhaps. Perhaps they are. Perhaps they're not. Perhaps they're made of moon cheese.

Maybe, if they are then mooncheese must be brown & fairly hard.

Just going by the manufacturers site that said they were multi-format and also from what Nellyb suggested.

Still, they're up now and look nice IMO, a 2mm joint would've looked silly anyway with these tiles so I'm glad I went for slightly wider joint.

Or maybe they were put up a while ago. Maybe you got a tiler to put em up for you. Maybe your name is joe and your favourite number is 90, who knows.

Moon cheese :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Who knows indeed, I was just humouring Softus.

As I said in the other thread I really don't know what I have done to upset you?

I asked about a trowel for wall tiling, you suggested and I went with your suggestion.

I asked about bath gap, you said 3mm max so I said OK I'll go with 2mm to be safe.

I asked about why the manufacturer was recommending such a large grout joint for wall tiles and you replied saying smaller would be OK, and again I took your advice and went with a smaller joint.

So to say that I don't listen to peoples advice is really confusing me!!??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back