Living room heating up 1C/hour with replacement combi SOLVED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We bought a 1 bed ground floor flat a year and a half ago and particularly last winter we noticed the living room was slow to heat up at 1C/hour.

The flat had a new Worcester 27CDI replacement boiler fitted Oct09 by the previous owners to the existing radiators removing the need for an immersion.

The setup now looks fairly standard but with no radiator in the kitchen, and old TRVs all around except in the bathroom. There is now a wireless thermostat in the living room. Reading all the install info that I received when buying the house the thermostat should be in the bathroom (the one with no TRV).

However, I don't think thats the cause of the slow heat-up.

The flat is fairly well insulated from c 1975 ground floor with cavity wall insulation, double glazing all round. It does have a vent in the bedroom and living room that's usually closed as they are drafty.

I have done the heat loss calcs to check the radiator sizing, and for the ones that are there they appear OK - see bottom of post.

In order to check system setup, I turned the boiler temp up to max (6), set the room start up to 26C out of the way and opened all the TRVs.

Starting the boiler, I measured all the inlet and return pipe temps with a multimeter with a K type thermocouple. I sandwiched the thermocouple against the pipe with a small towel -see attached picture;

From this I note the temperature difference across the radiators is low at less than 5C but given measuring errors even across them all. The boiler inlet and outlet differential is also low at 8C on startup dropping to 6C after the system warmed up. The boiler radiator outlet water temp stayed around 62-64C when the boiler heat setting of 6 indicates it should be approx 80C.

So the system could be 'balanced' but with low heat drops across the radiators. The combi appears not to have a variable pump speed, but does appear to modulate the gas output down. Maybe if the load on the radiators is low this could explain the small temperature differential between the boiler inlet and outlet water temperatures, and also the 62C cental heating water outlet temp.

I guess the lower boiler temperature outlet of the boiler will reduce radiator output.

The boiler works fine for domestic hot water flow and temperature.

I also notice that the STARS heat loss calcs below assume 20C differential across the radiators - do I need to balance the system for that? Would that increase the output of the radiators?

I looked at the balancing FAQ but that appeared to assume you could alter the pump speed.

Heres the heat loss calcs - I've picked the nearest radiator in the Stelrad catalog to what's already there (except the kitchen does not have a radiator);

STARS Advanced Heat Loss Calculator

External Temperature:
-3°C
Project Description:
1 bed flat

Buildings
FLAT

Flow Temperature:
80°C
Return Temperature:
60°C
Mean Water Temperature (MWT):
70°C
Pipeloss:
10%
Fast Heat Up Allowance:
0%
Hot Water Load:
0W

Room Count:

Rooms

Living Room
Air Changes:
Temperature:
21°C
Delta-T:
Radiator Count:
Heat Loss Requirement:
1767W / 6033BTU
Radiators
Product Code: 143709 — 1 × Compact P+ 450 × 1800 mm 1899W / 6484BTU

Bedroom
Air Changes:
Temperature:
18°C
Delta-T:
Radiator Count:
Heat Loss Requirement:
777W / 2653BTU
Radiators
Product Code: 8468 — 1 × Elite K1 450 × 1100 mm 845W / 2885BTU

Bathroom
Air Changes:
Temperature:
22°C
Delta-T:
Radiator Count:
Heat Loss Requirement:
397W / 1356BTU
Radiators
Product Code: 8453 — 1 × Elite P1 450 × 900 mm 428W / 1461BTU

Hall
Air Changes:
Temperature:
18°C
Delta-T:
Radiator Count:
Heat Loss Requirement:
152W / 519BTU
Radiators
Product Code: 143650 — 1 × Compact K1 300 × 500 mm 255W / 871BTU

Kitchen
Air Changes:
Temperature:
18°C
Delta-T:
Radiator Count:
Heat Loss Requirement:
459W / 1567BTU
Radiators
Product Code: 8463 — 1 × Elite K1 450 × 600 mm 461W / 1574BTU

Sponsored Links
You've got a TRV and a room stat in the living room. What setting is the TRV at? Does the radiator get hot all over?

Room stat in the bathroom? The room stat should ideally be in the hall.

Sponsored Links
Information overload. :unsure:

I'd get a Engineer, your looking a bit deep into this. Over complicated way at looking at cool radiators? They should check the flow and returns, the setting the boiler is at for Heating Output, restrictions etc. You've got 5 Radiators, sounds like the system needs balancing, and maybe a few TRV's sticking. The boiler should have no problems with a small system.

Information overload.
But if you read the info you would quickly work out what was wrong.

The OP has a WB27CDi which modulates between 8KW and 27kW.

The OP's rads only add up to 3.55kW.

So the boiler is producing 4.5kW more than is required, even when running at minimum modulation.

Result: the boiler will short cycle and take ages to get up to temperature.

The fact that the boiler starts at a high output and then modulates down makes it even worse.

Another case where the heating requirement was ignored when sizing a combi boiler.

Which I did notice, hence why it needs cutting down. But for the life of me I can't remember if you can program the Worcesters into a lower Central Heating Demand.

Which I did notice, hence why it needs cutting down. But for the life of me I can't remember if you can program the Worcesters into a lower Central Heating Demand.
It's Parameter 1.A in the First Service Level.

Its not going to make much difference!

Looking at the OP's measurements, in spite of turning the boiler CH control up to max the highest flow temp he is getting is about 65 C instead of 80 C.

Its not obvious if the lower flow temp is a result of the on/off cycling that the boiler is going to be doing as its so over powered for the CH.

Also noted the TRVs are apparently on the return rather than the flow! Probably resulting from a nupty boiler installer!

But the OP could have worked that out by reading the FAQs/WICKI and a few threads!

At least he has used the correct measuring method for the rads!

Tony

Thanks for all the suggestions.

It taken a while as I'm only at the flat 1 or 2 times a month.

I've looked thoroughly and there does not appear to be a bypass for the boiler.

Not sure what I can do about the size of the boiler - the 27CDi was I believe the smallest boiler Worcester did when it was installed- 24kW is the smallest they do now in their current range.

The issue turned out to be a fault in the PCB- the boiler kept going into a diagnostic mode, this restricted the output of the boiler leading to the symptoms above.

Replacing the PCB fixed this.

Solved by a plumber going through all the checks and calling W Bosch.

Hope the PCBs are normally reliable.

Thanks for peoples help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back