Living room window sill coming away from window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. What would you do to fix this? New windowsill or some kind of fill job?

Attachments

• 16630674221717931993913168258568.jpg
    16630674221717931993913168258568.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 121
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I'm going to be a pedant here and say that is a window board. The cill is on the outside.

The board should be fixed down to the wall beneath it using screws, but if it is coming away is it loose or solid? Caulk may well do for now, but you need to check if the window board is properly fixed in place

It looks like silicone. You may be able to clean it.

I'm going to be a pedant here and say that is a window board. The cill is on the outside.

The board should be fixed down to the wall beneath it using screws, but if it is coming away is it loose or solid? Caulk may well do for now, but you need to check if the window board is properly fixed in place

I have to admit, I always called them window cills.

I live in an unattractive mock art deco (1950's) building that originally had the hockey stick bays (Crittalls windows). Wouldn't the still and window board be the same piece of timber, or were they two separate parts?

Wouldn't the still and window board be the same piece of timber, or were they two separate parts?
Window boards in traditional work were always rebated along the back edge and housed into the lower back of the window frames, regardless of whether or not they were sash windows or casements. With metal windows and modern work it was/is more normal to butt up to the rear of the window, but with shrinkage you can see the sort of thing the OP has. It's quite common on all-metal Critalls, too. The cill is on the outside often with a drip groove routed on the underside and may be machined-in, or again housed in. There are all sorts of variations, but interior window boards need to be separete pieces because you just can't tell where the spreads (plasterers) will finish the plasterwork

BTW a lot of people call them window cills, but if you look at a Spon's (the pricing bible for quantity surveyors) they are always referred to as boards. And as that's what I sometimes get paid based on, so...

Last edited by a moderator:
Window boards in traditional work were always rebated along the back edge and housed into the lower back of the window frames, regardless of whether or not they were sash windows or casements. With metal windows and modern work it was/is more normal to butt up to the rear of the window, but with shrinkage you can see the sort of thing the OP has. It's quite common on all-metal Critalls, too. The cill is on the outside often with a drip groove routed on the underside and may be machined-in, or again housed in. There are all sorts of variations, but interior window boards need to be separete pieces because you just can't tell where the spredas will finish the plastering

BTW a lot of people call them window cills, but if you look at a Spon's (the pricing bible for quantity surveyors) they are always referred to as boards. And as that's what I sometimes get paid on...

If I had a cap, I would doff it to you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back