Lleylandi Roots

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a line of these trees grown as a hedge between my driveway and neighbours.

I am thinking of cutting the trees down to ground level and replacing with a brick wall. My neighbour and I both have Patterned Concrete Drives so we don't want to disturb these removing the roots. The footings for the wall would be a minimum of least one foot deep between the driveways for the wall to sit on... over the stumps.

My question is: Would the stumps / roots which are left create a problem with the concrete footings, if they were to rot down or would having deep enough concrete footings eliminate any problem?

Sponsored Links
I think the chances of this being successful are pretty low!
You really will need to take out all the large roots/stumps before you put in a foundation for your wall, and this clearance work will inevitably bugger up your driveways.
Maybe a better bet would be to cut the stumps to ground level, and then put up a low panel fence, arranging the posts so they are positioned between the stumps. Much less work (and cost).

you dont say how tall the plants are-leylandii roots are pretty small actually-cant say ive ever pulled out a 50 footer or such but over grown 4 metre hedge roots will have little consequence or any surroundings.

google leylandii root size or something-it is one of the least worrying plants to set roots against a building...regardless of how big and dusty they look on the top side : )

just pull the whole thing up and you'll have to cut through bits of roots in the ground but you can confine this chopping to a relatively small area with no need to go digging up the drive looking for more roots.

not a nice job-but nothing to worry about.

The tree height has been clipped at 6' max height but don't know if this makes any difference to root growth.

Sponsored Links
If you got a Stump grinder in they would grind away the tops and that would cut off all the latteral routs.

We paid £75 - minimum charge - recently to have 4 Leylandi stumps ground down from a 6 foot hedge. This allowed me to install a small area of paving. Any latteral roots that got in the way came up easily, just make sure you cut them at the edge of the concrete so you don't damage it when pulling them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back