Load bearing wall advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone

I would like to remove a wall on the first floor. The house is a typical 1930s terraced house.

The wall is a brick wall, but I have checked the loft and the joists are parallel to the wall except one joist that sits on it.

However on top of the ceiling joist there is a beam running between the two external walls and is perpendicular to the wall.

What is this beam doing? Is it to limit deflection of the joists? Or is it a hanging beam? How can I know if this wall is supporting this beam?

Regards

Attachments

• 929FDD33-CA96-4981-8FFF-A6137C04B8FA.jpeg
    929FDD33-CA96-4981-8FFF-A6137C04B8FA.jpeg
    63.1 KB · Views: 208
  • 6C2930A8-6B6E-4CA9-B972-EF86F33B167A.jpeg
    6C2930A8-6B6E-4CA9-B972-EF86F33B167A.jpeg
    160.3 KB · Views: 208
Sponsored Links
The wall is reducing the total span of that cross member which is not only taking some load off the joists, but most likely some roof props not in your picture.
So if you want to remove the wall you either have to install a suitable rsj below the ceiling joists, or above the joist, next to the existing cross member and strap all joists and props to this new steel.
One way or another I would ask a structural engineer to attend and make some calculations if needed.
Not knowing the full roof structure is limiting the answer and most of the above is on the assumption that you have a standard timber roof.

Thank you Gents. That is clear now.

I had a feeling the binder was being supported by this wall.

I had a look and couldn’t find it supporting the roof structure, but I will get a structural engineer in.

The roof structure is purlin and is supported off another wall.

Thanks for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back