Load bearing Wall Buckled.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I wonder if anyone could help or had a similar problem?
I was having work done on our flat and I received a call from our Builder saying that a load bearing wall had buckled and to contact our Structural Engineers asap. We are a basement, Victorian flat with 4 flats above.
The Structural Engineer arrived and confirmed that the buckling had been caused by old movement . New foundations and wall had to be rebuild and underpinned.
Our builder visited our neighbours above to take photos incase there was damage to their properties when he commenced with the removal of the wall. There wasn't.
Our problem is now that we have been left more than £9k out of pocket and over budget because of the unexpected cost of the loadbearing wall. Our builder has been paid however we are now experiencing severe financial difficulties because of this.
Are we able/is it worthwhile to instruct a Solicitor to claim back our neighbours share of the funds considering we are in a tenement and if anything goes wrong with the roof we have to pay our share.
Any advice would be welcome.

Sponsored Links
Was the structural wall designed by a structural engineer before the builder did the work?

A bit more info about the basics of the job wouldn't go amiss.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back