Create a large opening in a load bearing wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
We just bought a house and it's undergoing refurbishment. I want to create a large opening in a load bearing wall (between the two reception rooms). We got a structural engineer to visit and he gave us the calcs. I notified building control. We need to install rsj.

I found a builder via rated ppl and almost finalized things with him. He told us in the last minute that he has no insurance! This was only whn I insisted to see his insurance! Needless to say, we decided not to hire him.

In the meanwhile , our tradesman (who is doing the kitchen and bathroom for us) said he has a team who did similar jobs before and he can get them to do this for us. He is nvq level 3 in carpentry but I didn't see any evidence of wall removal related jobs in mybuilder. (We hired him via mybuilder). He is very good at what he does (kitchens and bathrooms).he has been working on site for 2weeks and he nearly completed the bathroom now.

I am thinking, he won't mess up our wall job since it will mess up his record (100% positive) on mybuilder. Also he has £2m insurance. Building control will anyway come and inspect. So they should be able to catch any probs with steel installation. is it a reasonable thought to go ahead with my carpenters team for the wall rsj work?

My structural Engineer said we can do with a lintel if we just have a double door opening (instead of a larger opening) . Is this a much safer option?

Sponsored Links
Regardless of the width of the opening, the structure above needs properly supporting while the beam is being installed. To that extent it matters not how wide the opening is.

Regardless of the width of the opening, the structure above needs properly supporting while the beam is being installed. To that extent it matters not how wide the opening is.

Thanks Tony.

In your opinion, should we go ahead with the job using our carpenter's team or not ?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back