load bearing wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Firstly, apologies if this topic has already been answered.

We had an extension built about 12 years ago. The external wall was kept and not knockec down.

I am having a new kitchen installed and would like to knock down part of the wall (roughly 3 metres) to make one big open area.

As this is a load bearing wall, I have notified the council and have put in a 'building notice application'.

My questions:

1. Do I need to get a structural engineer to come and carry out calculations and give me a plan?
My builder says that this is not necessary as this is a pretty straightforward job.

2. How much will a SE charge? I have just phoned one up and he is quoted £300 just to do calculations and give me a drawing.

My builder has told me the beam I will need is 203 x 102, does anyone know what the rough cost of this would be?

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Does the beam need to carry a floor or roof load as well as the wall above ?
Cavity wall or 9" or 4" ? Calculating beam sizes is complex and I would say BC will require calcs from an SE
You might get away with a catnic or similar but you still need an idea of the loadings involved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back