Need certification regarding load-bearing situation

If you are in Wakefield, then presumably you are with WDH, and their website is quite clear - fill in a form to apply

Sponsored Links
Let me throw more light on this:

The man from the council (a surveyor) comes. Now, if I say I'm getting a builder to knock down the wall, I suspect that that would have been the end of the matter. The man, I supect, would say, send in the name of the builder and we will then give you our decision. No talk of surveys or certifications.

Building services I suppose may consider whether the builder exists or not (at least). Anyway, I think building services would put it on the builder to know what he is doing, and by implication, no builder who knows what he is doing removes a load-bearing wall.

I get permission, and when the all is done building services inspects the work.

Okay, but I probably told the man that I was going to knock down the wall. Now that means there can be no reliance on a builder regarding the work. So, the man directs me to bring about a survey and he wants a certification as to the staus of the wall.

So, I reckon it's because I said I want to knock down the wall that I'm in the position that I'm in. But, folks say, it's wrong to ask for certification. That request has been added because I'm doing the work myself.

Let's say I got a builder to knock down the wall for say £50. I bet all I need do is send in the name of the builder and I'd get permission. But, if I don't use a bulder, it will cost me £100 for a survey and certification.

I probably wont post again on this as it's all been covered

I the post above yours I mentioned the form to be filled in at WDH. Even if you are not with them your landlord will have a similar form, or similar requirements.

You tell them what you want to do. They approve or reject it.

There is no pre-qualification or "certification" or anything. If the landlord wants to investigate before deciding then that is their prerogative, and would be good practice in their management duty. Not doing so is bad practice and unreasonable - and not a reason to reject an application to alter premises.

So non of your post above is really relevant. All you do is ask for permission in the prescribed way, and you await your written answer ..... and it really is that simple

I probably wont post again on this as it's all been covered

I the post above yours I mentioned the form to be filled in at WDH. Even if you are not with them your landlord will have a similar form, or similar requirements.

You tell them what you want to do. They approve or reject it.

There is no pre-qualification or "certification" or anything. If the landlord wants to investigate before deciding then that is their prerogative, and would be good practice in their management duty. Not doing so is bad practice and unreasonable - and not a reason to reject an application to alter premises.

So non of your post above is really relevant. All you do is ask for permission in the prescribed way, and you await your written answer ..... and it really is that simple

I guess my post is trying to explain what I think is true about how I've got myself into this situation. Also, I think it likely true that when a builder is involved, there is reliance on the builder. But, as you say, when no builder is involved it's up to them to do the check if they want to rely on something.

The key to getting an overall grasp of my situation, is to understand how my council is relying on builders to provide the status check. I took away that, when I said I want to remove the wall. I'm just noting this.

Sponsored Links
ask your landlord to carry out the work in full and pay them for it.

dont forget when you move out you will need to reinstate the wall as it will lower the value of the property.

sorry but thats life.

In my experience some council building surveyors acting for Housing Departments do not consider the opinions of council Building Control surveyors. Often they work in silo's and have their own remits.

Perhaps that is where the confusion comes from. One is asking you to proove to the 'landlord' I.e. council that the DIY work is controlled or not. If not then the report you provide can be kept on file for their records, if controlled then you will also need building regs and a compliance certificate. The former is just a report rather than a certificate.

They put the owness on you to prove how you are affecting their property and that if controlled, that it also has building regs approval. The landlord owns that certificate in reality and Luke sunnie says it will cause problems if they sell the property without one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back