Loadbearing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This isometric sketch shows a single storey rear extension I'm considering.

screenshot_161.jpg

(The existing house walls (pale brown) do extend further - I've not had a terrible accident with dynamite :LOL: )

The extension will have a flat roof - my question is could the wall I've highlighted in green be sufficiently load-bearing for the maximum joist span to be about 3.6m, not about 6.3?

Sponsored Links
Whether its a 100 block wall or timber stud wall, it will be perfectly adequate to support that sort of load.

Sponsored Links
Timber stud walls are often used for the inner skins of housing, where the loads supported (floors, roof etc) are higher than a simple flat roof.

Personally not a fan of stud walls for various reasons but in terms of required load-bearing capacity, they are fine.

Oh I don't doubt their load bearing strength.

And I like a lot of proper timber-framed buildings.

I just think that a few bits of sawn softwood with plasterboard nailed over the top is the work of the devil, that's all.

The practical problems of fixing things to walls, plus it just isn't right. It's not proper building - it's quick, cheap and shoddy.

The practical problems of fixing things to walls, plus it just isn't right. It's not proper building - it's quick, cheap and shoddy.

Fix to the studs, or plywood to the face of the studs = much easier and better to screw to.

It is only quick, cheap and shoddy, if people decide to build it that way.

Fix to the studs,
Only if they happen to be in the right place.

or plywood to the face of the studs
Only if someone has thought to use plywood. And thought to use plywood which is at least 25mm thick.

It is only quick, cheap and shoddy, if people decide to build it that way.
And those people are in a tiny, insignificant minority, aren't they... :rolleyes:

Sorry, but no. Solidly built walls using brick or concrete blocks are what I much prefer.

And anyway - that green wall is now irrelevant - we've decided to have the fall away from the house, rather than from one side to the other, so I guess the joists will have to run that way, making the longest span about 5.5m.

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....

@BAS - stud walls have their uses. On upper floors, for example, they enable builders to position walls where convenient, which may not necessarily be directly over ground floor load-bearing walls.

And 25mm plywood wood be over the top - 1/2" ply or OSB would do. This, with the correctly spaced studs, would be OK for fixing wall units etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back