local authorities building surveyor saying nothing on file

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I arranged a final inspection knowing everything has been checked in August 2014 and was told I only need to show my electric certificate when I get it. A different building surveyor came from the local authority to look at the doormer extension and says he has nothing on file about the inspection taking place of structure and insulation. He did agree with me the other surveyor did visit the site twice in August 2014 on the day of our recent meeting. I have now received an email from the surveyor.

He states a site exposure meeting was undertaken and requested works to be exposed and no further meeting was arranged until our recent meeting, which is not true. Also the previous surveyor has now retired and they have nothing on file about the inspection taking place. The surveyor has said he has spoken to the other surveyor and nothing has been found. Which I do not believe as I was present there when the inspection took place. I am sure this is negligence.

The other surveyor came out twice in August 2014, I made the phone calls to arrange meeting after receiving letter they have not inspected the doormer. The first time he came out he pointed out what he wanted exposed and the second meeting was a follow up for him to look at the exposed areas. After the surveyor viewed and was happy I asked can this be sealed up and he said yes. Now the house is fully decorated and finished.

No proof of photographs were taken as thinking the surveyor has seen it and that was the end.

You can clearly see the markings on the ceiling and walls of were the areas were exposed from as the plastering is not matching after sealing it back up.

What is the protocol for the local authority surveyors, does everything have to be written down? I.e phone calls, visits, their finding etc

Can they get away with this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back