Locating 12V transformer outdoors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently my back garden lights run on 12V from a transformer located inside my lounge, the 12V cable going out through a convenient air-vent hole.

Upcoming alterations in the lounge mean that I need to move the transformer, but really there is no suitable alternative space indoors. My thought therefore is to mount it outside in a sealed IP55 box, with the mains lead passing back through the existing hole (once the 12V cable has been removed) to the 230V mains socket inside the lounge. Proper glands on the underneath of the exterior box, drip loops, silicone sealant in the hole in the wall etc. Maybe upgrade the socket to one with an integral RCD?

NB: unlike my previous query along the same lines, this transformer has a 230V mains lead with a plug on the end, it's not the plug-top type with the 13A plug built-in. The transformer is labelled as being for indoor use only. but can this safely be ignored if I use a proper IP55 outside?

Sponsored Links
First bit- check your consumer unit, see if that circuit is already protected by an rcd. If it is then happy days, if it isn't then yes in this particular instance a local rcd might be the most cost-effective solution.
Second bit- yes though be wary of temperature buildup in a sealed box (some transformers/power supplies run quite warm so airflow round them is a good thing). You could also look at the Dribox range of enclosures (heavily used on outdoor gigs to keep the weather away from indoor grade electronics)

Yes, I did wonder about temperature / air-flow. But not sure how to improve the latter without having air-holes in the enclosure, which would rather defeat the object of being 'weatherproof' then. The transformer does get a little warm, but I would not rate it as excessive and of course it is not running all the time as the mains supply comes from a timer.

You can get weather proof toroidal transformers 1685865081016.pngone shown is a 60 VA. In Wales the job would be notifiable.

Sponsored Links
As it happens, I have something similar to a Dribox already which is fixed under the car-port to hold the batter charger. But that is rather large/bulky and SWMBO wants something 'neater' for the front garden lights :)

My garden lights have 12V 5W halogen bulbs. Is there any reason why a LED DC-output driver would not support those? Currently there are 10 lights with a 50W AC output transformer, but I could always remove one or two if necessary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back