Locating a light transformer in the ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I'm keen to switch from halogen to LED MR16 bulbs in my kitchen but realise that I have to also change the transformer which is hidden somewhere above the plasterboard ceiling.

Any tips on how I can locate the transformer without destroying my ceiling?

Many thanks

John

Sponsored Links
Firstly, do you know that it's not 1 Tx per light, either built in or very close to each one?

Have you looked at each light to see if there's one near any hole?

Do you even know that it/they is/are loose, and not fixed to joists and therefore not replaceable without removing some or all of the ceiling or lifting the floor above?

Pull gently on the wires?

Mirror on a stick?

Lift the floor above?

you may not need to replace the trannies.

Philips Master LED's are sold as a 'one size fit's all' retrofit LED for 12v MR16 lamp holders - meaning you can replace them without replacing the transformer and they *should* work.

It may or may not, but it might be worth trying them, and if you have issues then start looking at changing trannies. I swapped out 80 or so 50W halogen lamps for Philips Master and not one tranny needed replacing (as far as I'm aware there was no design consideration for LED's when the Halogens were installed, and it was generally 1 tranny per lamp (sometimes 1 for 2 lamps)

http://www.led-master.co.uk/pdfdatasheet.php?sku=001446

(Disclaimer: Despite my numerous posts on the subject I have no affiliation whatsoever to Philips, I am just 100% sold on their range of LED lighting. They also make a lot of g**h stuff too, but their lighting division is top notch. If somebody wants to point me in the direction of a 'better' brand I might start recommending them)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back