Downlight transformer

Yes, that's all true. I'm just a little surprised that one can't do at least a bit better than 80% efficiency. Let's face it, with just a resistor (and a bridge rectifier), if one assumes 3 x 3.3V LEDs, one ought to get about 82.5%, the other 17.5% being dissipated in the resistor and rectifier, so one would hope that something 'more clever' would do appreciably better than that.
But would it do better enough to justify the extra cost?

Sponsored Links
Anybody know what they do in cars for all the LED lights at the back? The BASmobile is too old and too non-premium for it to have any....

I have a car with LEDs and CANBUS. I had to change a rear lamp cluster. It has a PCB inside. Not clear what it does.

Possibly all the CANBUS malarkey. That and contributing to a gouging price for a part which has to be replaced in its entirety and not repaired or re-lamped.

Sponsored Links
But would it do better enough to justify the extra cost?
I suspect that, if mass produced, the cost difference would probably be pretty marginal. In any event, aptsys has pointed out some other potential reasons for not using the 'two component' solution.

Kind Regards, John

It has a PCB inside. Not clear what it does.

Almost certainly it drives the LED element(s) with pulsed DC that averages out at or below the rated continuous current for the element(s).

This makes the LED element(s) appear to be brighter thanb if they were drive with the rated continuous current for the element(s).

Take a CCTV or video of a car's LED lamps and you may find the light that appears steady to your eye is pulsing when viewed via the CCTV

The rear light clusters have constant current boost regulators along with the microcontroller for interfacing with the MS CAN bus. The LEDs are a single series string of LEDs so that the LEDs are all matched (hence the boost regulator). No pulsing or anything like that.

I've often wondered, is there anything in the MoT regarding the number of LEDs that can fail before the light is no longer acceptable?

I presume the individual LEDs could be replaced (anything is possible) but I suppose a whole new light assembly is normally the only way to go.

Maybe they have a tool to measure the brightness if suspect, I recall people failing when they used to black out the red perspex covers

Maybe they have a tool to measure the brightness if suspect, I recall people failing when they used to black out the red perspex covers
They certainly measure the brightness of headlights and, I think also brake lights, but I don't know about others.

It's a sore point with me. My ancient car always used to have excellent headlights. However, a few years ago (when they still seemed excellent) it failed its MOT because they were 'no bright enough' and so they were replaced (and the MOT then passed). The problem is that, ever since that replacement, I haven't been able top see where I am going at night!

Kind Regards, John

I've often wondered, is there anything in the MoT regarding the number of LEDs that can fail before the light is no longer acceptable?
That would be none, that would:
The LEDs are a single series string

Although I don't know what voltage they are, to be in series with a 12V supply, as some cars have several 10's in each "brake light", "rear light", "turn indicator", and so on.

The last reminds me, on some cars that PCB will contain a sequencing function - some turn indicators don't just go wholly on-off-on-off etc. Whether as a society we really need that sort of thing is open to question, as is whether it should be allowed.

a part which has to be replaced in its entirety and not repaired or re-lamped.
I replaced it because it was cracked, probably by a heavy-handed binman flinging the bin across the road. It contained about three replaceable bulbs, and an LED assembly (might have been the stoplamps)

No pulsing or anything like that.

Looking at the CCTV of cars passing many head lamps and indicators are strobing ( pulsing ) as a result of the LEDs being pulsed and the camarea shutter not being synchronised. ( beat note )

Also the temporary traffic signal LED arrays are diveded into two half and pulsed alternatively. To the naked eye they appear as a round light, through CCTV they appear as two half moons flashing alternatively.

The destination boards on buses appear very strange trhough CCTV

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back