Locating boiler outside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is just something I am considering at the moment, as part of the total refurbishment of my house. At present we have gas central heating which seems to work pretty well, but the rads will need to be replaced with more efficient ones and we may install under floor heating in some areas. It would really help with the design if I could get the boiler and other domestic appliances moved to a new utility extension. I want to avoid the cost of a full blown extension and as the new utility room would be replacing a wooden shed, I was thinking of going for some sort of metal framed wooden clad structure at the side of the house. What are the implications for the heating side of things though? I guess the new extension might be viewed as an outbuilding, in which case does that have any implications for the gas regulations?

Many thanks for any input on this.

Sponsored Links
It should be fairly easy to move, providing you can route the pipes and cables through into your utility room

With regards to gas regs:
Don't take regs too seriously all the time - as long as the boiler is in a safe position and supplied with enough gas (ask others about frictional losses in gas pipes, I'm not a pro, and so i cant tell you) it will be fine.

Plus, if its a combi, make sure that it will not be labouring to pump water to too greater a head, otherwise you will lose hot water flow.

I'd have to disagree - worry a lot about the regs, that's why they're there. It sounds like the boiler's going to be on a combustible wall, the flue will also pass through this wall, the wall will also have to provide adequate support, long pipe runs may be needed so pipe sizing is essential, pipes may be buried, then there's all the other minor regs which may only result in health problems instead of death! This is why installation instructions state:

"Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998: It is the law that all gas appliances ae installed in accordance with the above regulations.

The installation of the appliance must be in accordance with the relevant requirements of the Gas Safety Regs, current IEE Regs, Building Regs, Building Standards (Scotland) and local waer bye laws."
If you're unsure about these then make sure you have a CORGI eng check and commision the installation before use.

Sterose, I've just reread this and it doesn't read as I meant it to. Don't take it the wrong way, I just don't think it wise to advise people to ignore regs.
Regards, sifu

Thanks very much for the advice guys. So what exactly would the regs say about fixing the boiler to a combustible wall? The present boiler is a floor standing one which isn't too old so I was hoping to just have that one moved for now. It could be arranged for the boiler to be sat next to the existing exterior wall, whether it could then gain stability from that I don't know. I have absolutely no intention of going anywhere near this job myself. I am what I consider to be fairly experienced in DIY, but gas - no way! I have been trying to get my plumber (corgi registered) to come and et involved with this, but it's taking weeks so far and still no show! Just want to start to figure out what might be involved, to see whether it's worthwhile.

Thanks

Jon

Sponsored Links
First check the manual for the boiler. Many boilers are ok but some need a 75mm air gap or 25mm non-combustible material. The best bet is to check with the installer.

I was just reading through my old posts and came across this one again.

sifu, no offence taken with your post - i cant see anything wrong with your comments anyway.
(Incidentally, I'm all in favour of people arguing and disagreeing with others, it is the basis of a democratic country - the only ones who dont like people disagreeing with them are people who are arrogant and, in fact, are probably on shaky ground themselves)

Also, I take into account your advise about regs, but sometimes there are needs to bend the regs a little.

Finally, what is considered a 'combustable wall'?
And how do the regs treak such wall?
My boiler is attached to a compressed straw-like partition wall.

Hi sterose, glad you read it as I wrote it :)
Plasterboard is not usually considered combustible. It think 1/2 hour fire resistance is the norm for non-comustible walls, but the installation manual usually gives more detail of what is and isn't allowed.

The wall is plastered, but it isnt plasterboard.

Its like some sort of hey or straw (yes straw), compressed into thick sheets. It's not hollow either. It's a solid wall of straw.

Its like some sort of hey or straw (yes straw), compressed into thick sheets. It's not hollow either. It's a solid wall of straw.

That's brilliant. How old is the building? There should be a lot more of these IMHO. The straw building association don't consider straw (even uncompressed) combustible once it's plastered, so there's even less of a problem with yours. How thick are the walls? What's the insulation like?

"That's brilliant. How old is the building?"
By the way, the straw walls are internal partition walls, not outside walls.... :D
And it's early 70's council house.

"How thick are the walls?"
About 3inch thick.

Either way, if its not combustable, thats OK.

Oilman, how the hell did you know about the straw building association? :)

Sterose, an OT question, does "it's like no cheese I've ever tasted" mean anything to you? If you haven't got a clue what I'm talking about then you're not the person I'm thinking of. Someone on a course I've just completed could quite easily have come up with your nickname from their real name.

When choosing a site the following need to be considered:
suitability of the site
route of any flue system
acceptable terminal position
available ventilation , if required
location of of appliance to other parts of system(cylinders, cistern)
pipework route for water supplies
pipework route for gas supplies
suitable electricty supply
access for maintenance
protection against frost damage

The 'combsutible wall' problem is easily overcome, especially if the boiler is not wall mounted. The frost protection is likely to be the main problem.

Mave

sifu wrote
Oilman, how the hell did you know about the straw building association? :)

Why the hell did you think I didn't know about the straw building association? :LOL: :LOL: (Actually I got it wrong, it should be the straw bale building association) :oops:

Just wished I'd kown a lot earlier and built a straw house. Then I wouldn't need to waste so much money on heating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back