undefloor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi experts

Having an extension built and was wondering what the cost implications would be to fitting underfloor heating instead of rads in the new area. It would have to work in combination with the rest of the house which has existing radiators. I am having a new boiler fitted. Your thoughts greatly appreciated.

many thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
cheaper with radiators and better heat

have you any pets ?

they cant lie on floor as too warm , my dog not allowed on seats

but living away up here its colder but not as cold as Highlands where a house i know with underfloor heating was lukewarm

tryingnottobeafool wrote

cheaper with radiators and better heat

The radiators may be cheaper but underfloor heating has a more uniform heat transfer to the room and hence more comfortable.

Yes but is underfloor heating significantly more expensive? I will be having a new boiler and obviously the new extension will have a new floor. My choice will be radiatiors on the walls or plastic pipework in the new floor or is the more to it than that?

Sponsored Links
U/F heating has a 'different' type of heat, no cold feet or cold spots as you can get with a rad system. However be aware that the response time on U/F heating is not like a rad system i.e. you can't come home fire up the boiler and stand next to a nice warm rad on a cold day! If installed in a screed then U/F heating will be more than adequate for the room, its only when installed in timber suspended floors when you can get problems with not having enough heat, theres more thermal mass in the screed which results in cheaper running costs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back