Location of bathroom extractor outlet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm installing a bathroom but it won't have a window. I know for building regs it needs an extraction fan to an outside wall. But could I duct this to an existing but unused chimney?

Thanks

Andy

Sponsored Links
not a good idea .as the damp air wouldn`t do any good at all :mad: chimneys are for hot air :idea: like the plumbing forum :rolleyes:

it can be done, but you may get excessive condensation forming within the flue. maybe if the fan was allowed to run on, after the condensation has died down, this will help to keep it dry.

i know two people who have had it done with no side effects. both houses are pre' 1920's and would have originally burnt solid fuel.

what is above the bathroom?

does it have an outside wall?

what rooms are around the bathroom?

Sponsored Links
There's no outside wall, I'm putting this in the middle room and creating a corridor to the back room, squeezing an upstairs bathroom in a 2 up 2 down terrace is quite a challenge...!! There's a loft room above the bathroom, but immediately above where I want to put the extractor is an eves space, I guess I could duct it through there and out under the soffit.

I'll take that 'yip' as an affirmative, still seems a shame not use the chimney, poor thing probably hasn't been used in years...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back