Location of central heating timeswitch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a combination boiler running my central heating and hot water. The timeswitch controlling the heating is an old dial model which is very inconveniently located down at the level of the skirting board, inside a cupboard. I would like to upgrade the timeswitch, ideally to a 7-day timer, ideally digital and ideally placed higher up in a more accessible position.

The only alternative position is at roughly eye-level, about 50cm away from the oven and hob in the kitchen. Is this likely to cause a problem in terms of steam / heat produced when cooking (interfering with the timeswitch)? The kitchen is well-ventilated.

Sponsored Links
Why not update to a RF programmable room thermostat? you can put it pretty much anywhere you want then. They cost about a hundred quid.

Sounds like this may well be the right solution - thanks.

The reason I was looking to replace with something vaguely similar to the existing set-up is that I have discovered that I have been paying for breakdown etc cover, not only for my boiler but also for the roomstat, timer etc.

Therefore, having decided that I can't stand the existing timer any longer, I was keen to replace with something which would be covered by this contract. If I go for an RF programmable thermostat I have a feeling that it will be too visible an improvement and I'll have to pay for it myself.

Sorry to ask such basic questions, but here goes:

if I go for the RF thermostat, is it just basically a replacement of the existing thermostat - ie, with no other wiring required other than the existing standard 240V wiring to the roomstat, and then (an unwired) receiver placed in some convenient position close to the boiler itself?

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
the programable roomstat is battery operated (3yrs from original battery according to danfoss) can be placed almost anywhere. base station will replace your current programmer. Always test the room stat in position before you fix it to the wall (it usually takes 10s or so to establish a signal) just in case. they are good and for they guys without part P they're a godsend

supermario said:
if you do go RF route would recomend danfoss everytime

You maybe right, but what about Honeywell? Specifically CM67RF.

great, thanks for the suggestions - have been checking out the Honeywell and Danfoss RFs on the internet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back