New Central Heating Cost?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I'm currently upgrading features in my flat (double glazing, bathroom, kitchen etc) but the flat has no heating system whatsoever and this is the next step i'd like to go ahead with. Before i start to arrange people to come out and offer me central heating quotes, i just wondered if some people could give me some rough prices. It's not a trade i'm familiar with regarding it's pricing and don't wanna be taken on! :)

My room sizes are (to take radiator size in to consideration) :

Living room – 6.4m x 3.2m
Spare room – 4.4m x 2.9m
Hallway – 5.1m x 2.1m
Kitchen – 4.4m x 1.3m
Bedroom – 4.4m x 2.7m
Bathroom 2.0m x 2.0m

I'm located in Glasgow!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
unfortunately your question is exactly the same as asking, 'how much should i expect to pay for a car ?'

There is numerous radiator size calculators on the net, what i would normally say is fit the biggest you can in the space you have.

Here one: http://www.fixedfast.co.uk/btucalculator

Use watts rather than BTUs.

If you have a space say 1 metre wide on a wall then its best to fit something that "looks" right in there.

Generally fit 500/600mm high rads except under windows were you might need to step down to 300/400mm high.

The cost of instating a whole system is not going to change much with regards to the size of the radiators, which boiler and the overall difficulty of the job will have more influence.

Where is glasgow are you and what type of flat?

Cheers for the link GPlumb. I'm in the Southside (5 mins from Hampden) and it's a tenement (top floor) flat.

Sponsored Links
Depends on the Boiler you want etc: But i would quote around £1700- £2700 for that type of flat. I know those pretty well.

Edit: Getting decent access under the floorboard is essential, old tenements tend to have a lot of old engine ash under them which need to be cleaned out.

Sounds low to a sassenach! I'd have thought £4k ish.

Top floor tenements in that area are in reality four floors up and with 10 to 12 ft ceilings your talking about 50 ft ish to the flue or even more if the backcourt is down hill.

Personally ,I don't do anything higher than the first floor these days and even then the last one I did required a 45 ft three part heavy duty ladder to fit the flue.

Tower scaffold will add about £500 to the price.

My rule of thumb for quotations comes to £3300 with a combi boiler for the London area.

But then you dont even say if you have a gas supply. That might cost you a lot more and I might charge £200 for taking it around the flat.

Nor is there any addition for flue problems!

Tony

Well only thing that hinders the flue that i can think off is coring through 36" of sandstone but i have done it before.

Its a bitch though.

Cheers for the info folks.

With regards to the flat, it was renovated 26 years ago. Rewired, replumbed, outlay changed etc. The entire house is plumbed for gas, I just dont have a supply as i have no use for it. (yet)

If there is no gas service at all in the flat , You better find out how much that is to get in first as it may be expensive ie around a grand

Cheers for the info folks.

With regards to the flat, it was renovated 26 years ago. Rewired, replumbed, outlay changed etc. The entire house is plumbed for gas, I just dont have a supply as i have no use for it. (yet)

Well it will need rewired again then :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back