Help with a central heating quote

Whoever is doing this job is throwing it away and pretty desperate ,IMO.
Have to agree. Boiler swaps are coming out more than that price so I don't see how it can be done and run a viable business. IMO that price was ok about 5 years ago.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
It's not William Smith.
I do know the guy and he's an old mate from a few years back and he said that's the best and cheapest price he could do for me and he normally does a system like that for round the £2800 mark, I'm in the south west of scotland.

I was just wanting to gauge if that is a cheap price or not as I'm not a heating engineer, I've got another guy coming round tonight for a quote. But I think I'm going to go for this one depending on the one tonight, but I don't think he'll beat it.

So,your a timewaster and you don't trust your mate.

God,I hate this game sometimes. I despair ,I really do :cry:

It's nothing about not trusting anyone or wasting anyones time.

I apoligize if I have inconvenienced you but seeing as I'm about to part with about 2.5k in todays financial climate and I'm not a heating engineer, I just wanted another professional opinion, but I thought that was the whole point of a forum anyway?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You've had about six replies telling you that your man is doing the job for buttons.

What more do you want? Yet your willing to waste some poor guy's time who has not a hope in hell of getting the work unless he too is mental.

And,your still trying to knock the price down.

You know the old saying?

'if it seems to good to be true then it probably is'

Caveat emptor

You pays your money and all that.

Best of luck.

there was no mention of vat, I take it the price stated was plus vat. I havnt seen the job so couldn't be specific but it seems to me that your man is doing it at just about cost. just over a cup of tea, I'd be pricing blind of course, but I reacon that's about a grand plus vat short of what I'd go in at.

Ditto.

I have been upfront with the guy (who is a corgi registered engineer and is not mental) over the phone who is coming round tonight, I have told him I have had a quote and the price which was given and he says he'll come round for a look and still give me a quote.

As for the six replies, I'm gratefull to everyone who has given me their opinion and as i said I don't really know much about heating systems so every reply to this post has genuinely helped me, If heating systems was my field I would answer a post so I've not done anything wrong.

But I'm not really into having a go at someone, hand bags at dawn and all that stuff or getting into an argument over a forum.

Thanks for your advice anyway

You've had about six replies telling you that your man is doing the job for buttons.

What more do you want? Yet your willing to waste some poor guy's time who has not a hope in hell of getting the work unless he too is mental.

And,your still trying to knock the price down.

You know the old saying?

'if it seems to good to be true then it probably isn't'

Caveat emptor

You pays your money and all that.

Best of luck.

I have been upfront with the guy (who is a corgi registered engineer and is not mental) over the phone who is coming round tonight, I have told him I have had a quote and the price which was given and he says he'll come round for a look and still give me a quote.

As for the six replies, I'm gratefull to everyone who has given me their opinion and as i said I don't really know much about heating systems so every reply to this post has genuinely helped me, If heating systems was my field I would answer a post so I've not done anything wrong.

But I'm not really into having a go at someone, hand bags at dawn and all that stuff or getting into an argument over a forum.

Thanks for your advice anyway

If you see a telly advertised in one shop cheaper than another, most of us would buy it there.

If you are going to let someone come in and fit a gas appliance, pipework and carry out mains wiring in your home, that is a different matter.

The finished product does not come out of a box, it is in the hands of the installer.

If you pay peanuts in this regard, the installer will have a very low income and thus standard of living. Most installers working for peanuts have a quality of work and knowledge that keeps them at that level in the food chain.

Very few heating installers are altruistic social benefactors who work for almost nothing.

But in the event that your good 'old mate' is one, you have still queried his voracity on this forum and invited someone else to see you, just to make sure.

You either trust your friends or don't have any.

Sounds cheap to me. At that price for a full system he can come and do all mine and I'll sit back and charge the normal price of at around another grand. :evil:

makk";p="1022849 said:
Hi,
It's not William Smith.
I do know the guy and he's an old mate from a few years back and he said that's the best and cheapest price he could do for me and he normally does a system like that for round the £2800 mark, I'm in the south west of scotland.

I was just wanting to gauge if that is a cheap price or not as I'm not a heating engineer, I've got another guy coming round tonight for a quote. But I think I'm going to go for this one depending on the one tonight, but I don't think he'll beat it.[/quote

And, what if he beats it ?, by, say 50 quid or 100, or whatever price, will you take it, or help a mate out?. If i quoted a mate at rock bottom, no matter what the trade, and he still looked for quotes, i would not be doing the job! not having a go at you.! must be in your genes. :LOL:

You are all talking a pile of shi#e to justify your own prices. yeah im not cheap either but i dont slag the guys off that do a cheaper job if someone works for £150 a day why would he be worse than the guy who works for£500 a day is he not just working for what he needs and making sure he is busy.

This week i feked up a price and worked for ten hours for £150 quid yet the day after i made £180 for 2 hours wasii a rough cowboy on the first day or a excellent engineer who deserved everything i charged on the second day/
Dont ever confuse price with quality otherwise the guys on rogue traders would be classed as craftsmen.
Iwould love to see you all on here pay without quibble any tradesman who works in your house the rates you all claim are acceptable

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back