Location of new sockets / cabling technique

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm looking to create to new double sockets by extending the ring from an existing socket on side of the wall. I plan to remove the socket, drill though the wall to the other side and then use this to create the two new sockets. The dodgy diagram below attempts to show what I want to do (view point is looking down the wall from the ceiling) where

the x = the existing plug socket where I will extend from
the __= the wall
the o = where I want my new sockets (I had to put ... between the o's as the forum seems to remove spaces from posts)

___________x___

...o.......o...........

Can anyone recommend how I would run the wire along the wall? I know that running horizontally along the wall is bad practice but how else could I do this? I don't want to use external truncking unless I have to and the floor is laminate so I can't lift that up either.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
But the cable would be burried in the wall, doesn't that contravene some regulation or other in case someone drills a hole there in the future? Not sure why they would be drilling a hole a knee height but I suppose you never know? :confused:

BigJim said:
But the cable would be burried in the wall, doesn't that contravene some regulation or other in case someone drills a hole there in the future? Not sure why they would be drilling a hole a knee height but I suppose you never know? :confused:

No,you've got that wrong (sorry). If you have a socket on the wall, you should expect the cable to be run to it either vertically or horizontally, so you should not drill directly above, below, or to the side of it without investigating. This is called a "safe zone".

It is perfectly correct to put your sockets in a row and run the cable directly between them. This method is very economical in labour and materials, and the cable run is obvious. It is particularly useful in kitchens, offices or workrooms where you have a lot of switches and sockets 150mm or so above worktop height. In living rooms it is useful to have sockets every couple of metres at the preferred height of 450mm.

However you have glossed over the fact that you sound as if you are taking a spur off the ring, and you are only allowed one double socket off an unfused spur.

Sponsored Links
What you can do is to run the cable from the existing socket,through the wall to a fused connection unit incorporating a 13 amp fuse and from that fused connection unit you can then put your two new sockets in as the 13 amp fuse will protect the cables and two new sockets.

BUT

As both those new sockets are protected by 13amps,anything significantly above that rating plugged in to either/both sockets will cause the 13 amp fuse to pop.

Thanks for the replies, this is really useful.

Rather than take a spur, I was going to extend the ring as the existing socket is on the ring (2 sets of wires going into the socket).

This should be OK shouldn't it? It's not a large flat so I don't think I will be extending the ring more than the recommendations. Admitedly, buring 2 twin and earth wires into the wall will be harder than one wire but it sunds like the way to go.

Any problems with this? Thanks again!

Alternatively:

Step 1. Disconnect one of the cables at the old socket.

Step 2. Run a new length of cable from that socket to the first new socket.

Step 3. Run a cable from the first new socket to the second new socket.

Step 4. Run a cable from the second new socket back to the old socket and connect it to the cable that you removed in step 1 using a suitable connector.

Thus you have extended the ring and not created a spur. Both sockets should then accept full load and all for the sake of one extra length of cable. It's what I did and it has since been OKed by a qualified electrician when he tested the circuits after replacing the CU.

Edit: Posted before the OP's latest reply. :)

2nd edit: If your existing cable is in the old colours and your new cables are in the new colours then you should stick a big sticker on your CU as a warning. Or so I am lead to believe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back