lock in

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I\\\'d like to know whether there\\\'s a way to tample with a nightlatch so that once the door is slammed shut, it can no longer be opened from the inside of the house (turning the knob) but only from the outside, using the key?

Thanks in advance,

Cras

Sponsored Links
it can easily be done on any nightlatch really,only problem is that then it becomes a possable fire hazard as you shut off a means of escape,possably even breaking the law depending on the location of the door?
dare i ask the reason for this idea?

If you have a door with glass panels or a handy letterbox, it is usual to fit a nightlatch that can be operated in this way, to prevent some of the easiest ways of making a forced entry. It can be operated with a key. they are sometimes called "double cylinder nightlatches" as you have a key cylinder inside and out.

It should only be deadlocked when the house is unoccupied, because of the need to escape in an emergency, as yandownie says. You can't rely on being able to find the key when the house is full of smoke.

If you want to secure it at night, a large bolt or chain is better, as you don't need a key to escape.

Since nightlatches are usually quite weak and insecure, if you are thinking of keeping burglars out, it is better to fit a deadlock as well as the nightlatch. this is much more secure, and having two locks on the door makes it more difficult to force open. Preferably fit one of the locks a third up from the bottom of the door, and one a third down from the top.

Again, you should only lock the deadlock when the house is unoccupied.

I have a similar requirement here, reason being is i have three small kids, and i can't be sure they would turn a key, or put a chain across when they come in, therefore anyone could gain access when they come to the door.

So for a nightlatch with a knob on the inside, and a key on the outside would be perfect, but can you do this on a uPVC door?

Thanks
(and cras7033 sorry for hi-jacking your post :) )

Sponsored Links
'course you can

p1697785_l.jpg

instead of

p1205224_l.jpg

but on wooden doors

p3506750_l.jpg

not

p1201800_l.jpg

The above still relies upon the child turning the thumbturn to lock the door. There are models of multipoint locks that have a nightlatch function, which disables the outside handle once closed, and requires the key to open from the outside. The inside operates as normal. This would require a replacement of your mechanism, and probably the frame strikes - not a cheap option.

Example: http://www.buyourlocks.com/product_details.php?pid=1089

That looks great, but is it a nightlatch - am i understanding this correctly? i want it to be locked when it's pushed to... and with no turning of knobs or keys :rolleyes:

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back