Transplanting the innards of a Yale (brand) nightlatch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Short question: does anyone know how easy it is to transplant the innards of a Yale 91 nightlatch (link):
https://www.yale.co.uk/en/yale/couk/products/mechanical/nightlatches/91---basic-security-nightlatch/
into the Yale 89 nightlatch shown in the picture below:
front_door_lock.jpg

Long explanation: The Yale 89 nightlatch (in photo) is on the front door of an old house which has been converted into flats. Behind the door are 3 self-contained flats each with their own, securely lockable, front door. Once upon a time there was an entryphone type lock, but someone forced their way past it and it was replaced (as above); at the same time a mortice lock was installed which has, on the inside, a knob to (un)lock. The Yale 89, using the snib, can be deadlocked from the inside so you can't use a key externally, equally it can be deadlocked, from the outside, by turning the key 360 degrees "the wrong way" which stops anyone opening the door from the inside (not too good in a fire). I'd like to retain the shiny look partly 'cos the staple is so well embedded in the wall that I'd make a right mess of changing that to a DMG (Dark Metal Grey) one which is the only colour available for a Yale 91.

I'm prepared to take the risk that moving the innards from a 91 to an 89 might work but not the other way round. If anyone's got any knowledge or hints (just thinking out loud - circlip pliers needed ?) then I'd be most grateful.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
In case this is helpful to anyone else.
Swapping over the bits to prevent deadlocking from the outside (using the key) was easy. But I couldn't do anything about the snib; there was no obvious way of removing the snib button from the snib slider (inside the "shell"). Also, in this case, there'd been a redesign of the snib workings between the (> 20 years ?) old Yale 89 and the new Yale 91.
Anyway, I'm a happy bunny that people can't be locked in any longer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back