nightlatch barrel bar too short - question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I'm currently replacing the cladding on my garage door and have removed the barrel of my nightlatch, but have a problem. The new cladding is thicker than the old one and the barrel bar is now too short. Is the only solution a new barrel? One issue I have is the nightlatch is a doubled sided locking type, with the same key opening/locking from either side. If I get a new barrel, with a longer bar, it will mean a new key. However, will the inside catch key still work, as it cannot be changed? Will it mean that I have a different key for each side? Is that possible?

Sponsored Links
What sort of lock is it?

It doesn't sound like a Eurocylinder.

Is it like a yale?

Picture might help.

yes sounds like a yale type
has it got a flat bar and in 2 parts
a eurocylinder looks exactly like a large keyhole

P1 1109 cylinder.jpg

Yes, it is a Yale and it looks like this, but grey.
Here's a link:
http://www.yale.co.uk/en/yale/couk/productsdb/nightlatches/p1--p2-double-locking-nightlatch/

The problem I have is the barrel bar was cut for the previous cladding, so is short. However, I have added extra thick, new cladding and now need a longer bar. My worry is my cladding and the door is now too thick, and so even a new barrel with bar may be short. How long are new Yale barrel bars and do they come as a standard length, or can you get extra long?
Hope I've not gone overboard with my extra chunky (but incredibly solid and secure) cladding. It's now bolted firming on top of the old frame!

Sponsored Links
If you have a look at the flat bar, you will find it slots into the end of the cylinder and is secured with a small pin. It is possible to remove the pin and slot in a new bar, either removed from another cylinder, or, if you are handy, you might be able to cut one with a dremel or hacksaw. It is sized To fit doors 32mm-57mm thick

There is a faint chance that if you ring Yale customer support, they might have a spare bar, or you could get an old cylinder on Freegle.

Had a look at the cylinder and can't see a pin. The bar looks like it's stuck in it. The was a screw that went from the back plate and into the barrel, but that's it. The bar was cut to 20mm long. Do you know how long they are originally? I need one at least 50mm long. I don't mind buying a new one if the bar is long enough and then using a different key for each side. Most of the time the door is bolted on the inside anyway. Would a non Yale barrel not be compatible with the yale back plate? Perhaps someone does an extra long one?

the outside cylinder, any brand will fit

Doesn't the bar wobble slightly in its slot?

It does wobble, but seems to be held in by something and I can't figure out how (unless their is some kind of weld inside the barrel.) I've got these pictures -

IMG_2905.JPG
IMG_2906.JPG
IMG_2907.JPG

photos of the end would help. I have previously got a bar out, but can't remember it well. There is a circlip to hold it in. As I recall the end of the bar is "T" shaped. It does fit loosely into a slot so that it has enough play to accommodate out-of-line cylinder and case.

Been a while since I took one apart too. Looks as if you have to pull the lock barrel on that one to release the bar. If you do pull the barrel out, be aware of the sprung pins under those blanks on the outer case which will all fall (read jump!) out when the lock barrel is pulled, and have to go back in the right order or the key won't work.
What about lengthening it with a piece of round bar slotted at one end with a hacksaw, and then drilled through and riveted with a small nail. File a tongue on the other end to suit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back