Locking a garden gate from both sides

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a tall wooden gate at the bottom of the garden that we like to lock/unlock from both sides. Currently I have a padlock on one side and a crappy keyed shed lock on the other (I say crappy because it just fell apart).

It wasn't ideal anyway as I often had to reach over the gate and try to lock it from the outside.

Does anyone know of a good way to do this?

Thanks

P.S. I can see this question was asked in 2004 but the Screwfix link that was posted no longer works!

Sponsored Links
Thanks a lot for the quick reply.

I'm not sure these kinds of lock will fit properly though. What I should have said is that the gate isn't solid, it has roughly 2" wide vertical bars spaced by about an inch.

Since I posted the query, I did see this: http://bit.ly/wE8We6, but I left the query open in case there was a cheaper solution.
[/url]

Is there a stile to the gate?

I find this http://www.keyprint.co.uk/store_detail.asp?stkcode=AZBE22 to be one of the best multi purpose locks going. You can fit to wood/metal in fact anything you want, even used it on double doors top and bottom ( Was industrial).
Strong as fek, you can change the cylinder to suit your own keys if need be.
One of the best products I ever found, been using them for over 20 years.

PS it is not handed so will fit left or right hinged gates/doors/wot ever.

Sponsored Links
you can buy better-quality rimlocks, they are used on utility cabins but rather expensive. Most rimlocks are rubbish.

If it was me I think I would thicken up the stile by bolting an extra timber to it, with a recess for an ordinary mortice deadlock (probably a Chubb with brass internals that do not rust), giving the steel case a spray with rust resistant paint.

You can often buy second-hand chubbs cheap on ebay with several keys, as the British Standard was changed a few years ago so older ones do not comply with current insurance requirements.

For a very cheap fix you could fit one or two mortice rackbolts with keyholes both sides.

Thanks, that gives me a few options to think about. Yet another job to add to the list !

Wooden gate, it would prise back if forced. A old 3G114/5 has little bolt throw.
The Azbe will never fail to that, use non return screws to fix or bolt thru and destroy ends.

Another aspect to think about, is the type of gate you have.... if it's waney edge type construction... it'll fall apart if attacked.. a stronger gate will easily be climbed by an athletic youth (think i could probably still get over one at a push !!). So think about what you're protecting and from whom or what.....

Might be wise to think security lights, cctv, sensors alarms etc...

Or upgrade to a metal gate/fence?

Just some random thoughts...

I'm only expecting a mild deterrent to be honest. If anybody is bothered they'll get in anyway, I just don't want to make it too easy.

I'm only expecting a mild deterrent to be honest. If anybody is bothered they'll get in anyway, I just don't want to make it too easy.

for me i'd spend a quid from poundland then... and cut a hole in the gate so you can see the lock from both sides !! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back