Lockout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My oil boiler locked out two days ago but was reset and continued to work. Today it is locked out and will not reset. Three weeks ago it had a new solenoid valve in the pump. The motor runs and the burner fires. It then runs for 6 seconds only and locks out again. Can someone tell me what is wrong and what is faulty.

Sponsored Links
What boiler is it and when was it last serviced, or had a nozzle change.

Sponsored Links
I'd get it serviced ASAP, could be a poor flame that the photocell is struggling to detect. Or a small blockage in the nozzle cutting the fuel.

Got plenty of fuel, checked the filters?

Trouble is without being onsite is a bit hard to find a fault.

Worcester Heatslave 12/14. It is due for a service.

You were asked when it was last serviced!

Not if it needs a service.

We would say that it does from your description of the problem!

The correct sequence for start should be-

Power to burner on-
0s Fan runs
12s oil valve opens burner ignites (you will hear the flame light as the note of the burner changes
20s igniton spark off ( or Lockout if the sequence wasnot as above)

it is possible that the flame is igniting immediately the fans starts due to a faulty solenoid stem, the photocell then sees the flame too soon and forces a lock-out

however solenoid stems and photocells are not cheap items so you can't just guess the fault away

as said get a decent oil engineer it will be a piece of cake once he or she is on site in front of the boiler especially as this is not a dreaded intermittant fault! ;)

Thank you all - I have serviced the boiler tonight - I done it 18 months ago. The nozzle must have been blocked as it now works fine. Thank you to all for your input. Regards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back