Locksheild on radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys - I'm gonna replace a radiator downstairs, it's a bit old and gone rusty and is a single panel, going to replace it with a double panel, double convector..anyway this old radiator has two locksheields at both ends, I remember the plumber installing it years ago saying that one radiator in the system needs to be constantly open to allow for flow to and back to the boiler. Is this true? Or shall I put a trv one end a locksheild the other?..ta

Sponsored Links
Yes, always a good idea to have a rad that ensures there is always circulation through the system in the unlikely event of all the other rads closing down. Also, if your room stat is in the hall, not a good idea to have a TRV on that rad. Otherwise the two stats will be working against each other.

that one radiator in the system needs to be constantly open to allow for flow to and back to the boiler. Is this true? Or shall I put a trv one end a locksheild the other?
Depends what valves you have on other rads, and whether there is a bypass pipe.

Sponsored Links
Don't have a room stat, all radiators in the house have trv fitted stone end except the one I'm gonna replace. So it's ok to have locksheild at both ends..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back