Lockshield Caps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
desperate times. I have several lockshield caps (right name?) broken so to adjust the rad I have to use a pair of pliers. Can't seem to find anyone that supplies these as a spare. Which is daft as heat make sthem brittle over a period of time.

Any ideas/suppliers please ?

Sponsored Links
I might use a spanner, but that's the idea of lockshield valves, they need a tool to operate them so some dope doesn't twiddle them while waiting for the kettle to boil.

I think I mean the valve you use to control the water flow, which you replace if you're sensible with a TRV. Usually has the big "knob" which is the part that shatters after a while. Hell of a job finding them as spares. yes I know i should fit TRVs but in the meantime......does anyone know where you can buy these

You will probably have to buy new valves to get the caps, they will cost around £4 each. I don't think you SHOULD fit TRVs, they have problems of their own, and they need replacing when they stop working. The caps last though :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Thats kind of what I thought oilman but thanks for then advice. I spoke to Myson and tehy are sending me a smaple but there are 3 differents types for Myson alone.....doh! They claim merchants stock them but the merchant I checked claimed Myson won't supply him! Makes the Palestinian problem sound like a doddle...

Have to agree with your view on TRVs. I have them fitted upstairs only, heat rising makes upstairs hotter than the room thermostat so that made sense. In some cases just another thing to go wrong. Keep it simple, if it ain't broke...etc etc

With the cap removed, the spindle can be gripped and driven very successfully with a 3/8in-square-drive 'universal socket' 7mm-19mm. This is a socket filled with sprung pins to grip various sized nuts, the pins completely filling the aperture; the 9mm-21mm version with pins that leave gaps does NOT grip in this situation. Any combination of adaptor, handle or extension for 3/8in sockets can be used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back