lockshield conundrum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to fit an Aladdin autovent on a towel rail that needs bleeding too often. Problem is i can't seem to close one of the valves - the one on the left image below, which seems to be the lockshield. The other one is fine - see image on right, which appears to be the temp control. Not sure if the valve has been bashed or I am just doing something wrong. Any tips?

If I cant close it, what odds on me getting old vent off and Aladdin fitted before house floods?

Attachments

• 20230323_155516.jpg
    20230323_155516.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 20230323_155510.jpg
    20230323_155510.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 50
Sponsored Links
1. If a radiator needs frequent bleeding it is indicative of a problem in the system. Fitting an automatic bleed valve may hide the symptoms but it won't cure the problem.
2. The spindle of your lock shield valve should have a square brass spindle at the top. Turning this clockwise (looking down on the spindle) will close the valve. Use a spanner to turn it so you don't round it over. Count the number of 1/8 turns required to close it, then when you have finished work on the radiator, re-open it the same number of 1/8 turns. This will preserve the system balance.
3. If the valve is very stiff to turn, slacken the gland nut 1/2 turn. The gland nut is the chromed hexagonal nut immediately below the brass spindle. Make sure you nip it up again when finished.
4. Your odds of doing it live without a substantial flood are poor.

Thanks for the tips oldbuffer. I think the air loss is due to a weeping pipe/valve somewhere but I can't find it - old house, old gravity system. Anyway, it doesn't seem to be causing any issues I can see, so hence the auto vent. The spindle seems to have been rounded off already, which i think is my problem. I will loosen the glandnut as you suggest, and perhaps not try the live change trick!

Sponsored Links
You haven't got air loss, there is gas being generated by the system so potentialy corrosion somewhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back