Replacing lockshield "live"

bsr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Would you replace this lockshield live? It's on a sealed system. How much of a gush do you get (obviously I will release system pressure first). There is no drain point on this drop so whatever happens there will be some leakage.

The valve was working fine when I closed it to take off the towel rail. The very next day I refitted the towel rail but couldn't open the lockshield. Even soaking it in penetrating oil for 24 hours didn't help. The gland nut came off without issue. I tried to open it with an adjustable and predictably the stem sheared off.

Can you get a lockshield with drain off that would fit in the same space?

Thanks

bsr

DSC_0182.JPG

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Theres not many systems that I drain these days to change a valve and sealed systems make it a doddle to work live. But then again, I’ve been doing it coming up to 20yrs now, you get a feeling for systems that are going to soak you. Turn all the other rads off on their trv/wheelhead, release pressure, towel underneath and job done.

Prep first, work fast.

Thanks, live it is then , closing all the other rads is a good tip.

Yes the pipe appears to be a bit distorted but has been flowing OK so I'm not going to muck about more than I have to.

Sponsored Links
Sorry stupid question, but can I check that when doing this live you would leave the old nut and olive on?

Sorry stupid question, but can I check that when doing this live you would leave the old nut and olive on?

You have to check that they are the same thread. This could be difficult doing live.

Looking at that picture I think you will be OK with the threads. But that reducer looks to be on the edge.

I would drain system if I were you

Looking at that picture I think you will be OK with the threads. But that reducer looks to be on the edge.

I would drain system if I were you
Its a sealed system, why would you drain it ?

Being a professional I would judge situation for myself. Giving advice to a DIYer I would act with caution.

Done today (finally) without issue. I released the pressure, put a washing up bowl underneath and managed to swap the valve losing less than a litre of water - the towel rail was still glugging as I screwed in the new valve.

I left the old olive and nut on. It seemed a lot easier than trying to bash it off with water pouring everywhere.

Thanks for your help. No video sorry but it would be very boring!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back