Leaking lockshield

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've just reinstalled one of our radiators and as soon as I opened the lockshield the lockshield started to leak from the spindle/screw. I've tried to adjust the screw slightly in the hope is would stop but no luck.

It's a fancy Quinn straight lockshield with an inverted screw as the spindle! the leak is coming round the screw.

I want to avoid taking the rad off again and replacing the lockshield as it's a tall column rad so it's quite a pain to drain it etc.

I'm wondering if I could get away with draining the heating system (combi boiler) and undo the lockshield mechanism to replace the o-ring.

Or is there a simpler way?

I'm hoping it seals itself as it's only a small drip and we live in a hard water area but I think that is wishful thinking.

Thanks

Adam

Sponsored Links
Where is the cap that covers it?

It as a seal in it, just replace the cap, when you have the lockshield in the required position.

I did put the cover back on but it still leaks.

The leak has slowed overnight so maybe the limes scale is enough to seal it

Sponsored Links
The cap does not have a seal in it. I've got 2 of these lockshield valves and neither has a seal.

I've added an o-ring to see if that helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back