Lockshield valve not isolating radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm trying to isolate my radiator in order to change a leaking bleed valve. The lockshield valve on the radiator is just spinning and spinning and not shutting off the water. In the photo below, it's the spindle that I have been trying to turn.

Is there anything I can do other than emptying the entire heating system to replace the lockshield valve as well?

Thanks very much!
Jess

Attachments

• 15766121963608700943513005502350.jpg
    15766121963608700943513005502350.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 445
Sponsored Links
Water will squirt out when you remove that valve. It will stop squirting when the pressure reduces to zero.

You can reduce the pressure before you start using the drain cock (or a bleed valve, which will be very slow). There is no need to drain the system. Close the drain before you start work on the valve. Turn off the valve at the other end of the radiator.

Water will not drain out until it is open at two points. One for the water to come out, and one for air to go in to replace it.

You will have to top up the water to repressurise the system after you have finished work.

Sponsored Links
Water will squirt out when you remove that valve. It will stop squirting when the pressure reduces to zero.

You can reduce the pressure before you start using the drain cock (or a bleed valve, which will be very slow). There is no need to drain the system. Close the drain before you start work on the valve. Turn off the valve at the other end of the radiator.

Water will not drain out until it is open at two points. One for the water to come out, and one for air to go in to replace it.

You will have to top up the water to repressurise the system after you have finished work.

Thank you. Will I need to replace that lockshield valve as well or just the bleed valve that is actually leaking?

you replace the valve that is faulty

you said the lockshield valve is faulty

I assumed you intended to replace it.

Which way are you turning lock shield? Don’t think they are capable of spinning .Are you using a spanner?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back