Lockshields fully open - balancing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm surprised to find the lockshields fully open on most of the radiators I checked, if not all. I have 20 rads and most I checked had the lockshield fully open

The system is 8 years old and trvs on the return on some. I know this shouldn't makea difference

Why would the lockshields be fully open? All rads appear to get hot so is it worth balancing. I would like to force more heat to 2 rooms taking heat away from the lounge.

However turning down the lockshield produces a hissing / whooshing noise. I assume any throttling is restricting too much flow? [/b]

Sponsored Links
Each radiator requires a quantity of water to flow through it for it to radiate correct amount of heat. If all rads are fully open, then it will inavitabely mean ones fartest away from the pump will have inadequate flow through them therefore heat outpout from these will be poor.

For a condensing boiler, I would aim for 15 to 20 degree of temperature differential between inlet and outlet at each radiator. If boiler is a combination boiler then pump speed cannot be adjusted. For heat only boiler, pump speed might need adjusting to achieve quiet operation and correct distribution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back